Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Essential Rumi - Coleman Barks

 Rumi was a Libran, born on September 30, 1207, and was a poet, scholar, mystic from Iran. I have seen and read many of Rumi's quotes and have loved them so and read this book by Coleman Barks.There's a lot of poetry - intense thoughts on the true nature of love, faith, prayer and all things that concern and bewilder people.



It's organised into sections - The Tavern, Bewilderment, Emptiness and Silence, Spring Giddiness, Feeling Separation, Controlling the desire, Sohbet, Being a Lover, The Pickaxe, Art as Flirtation with Surrender, Union Gnats Inside the Wind, Recognising Elegance, Being Women etc

I can't pick specific lines or themes but some of them made a deep impression on me. I'll leave it at that. I was looking at some quote though and found these gems.


You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.

I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred different ways.

What you seek is seeking you.

As you start on the way, the way appears.

You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.

These pains you feel are messengers; listen to them.

Love is the whole thing, we are only pieces.

The wound is the place where the light enters you.

Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.

Only from the heart can you touch the sky.


And I can go on and on. I'll make a post with all of Rumi's best quotes.  Rumi - touches you in ways you have never been touched.

No comments: