Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Paradoxes of Life - Less IS More Enjoyment

Less is more enjoyment. Less is more intensity. Less is more focus. Less is greater concentration.

As opposed to the capitalistic credo of more and more, and the dil maange more lines that make people swell up literally, it is the 'less' that provides more intensity, more enjoyment, more happiness. 

There was a time when I used to buy cassettes and listen to music. Listening to a particular singer or group was a ritual and needed effort. We'd listen to each and every song in the album, pick the best and listen to them again. The few songs we listened to were listened to frequently and many times and gave immense satisfaction. We knew most songs, albums, groups and so on. Now I have a couple of thousand songs on my ipod and do not know who it is by and what to listen to. I do not listen as much. I know its there when I need it so I just keep them and hope for that brilliant day when I will play them.

The same with movies. The few movies we watched in theatres were fun and then came the videos which were okay too but once the DVDs came, everything went haywire. I have so many DVDs and movies that I have not watched for years now. The collection is piling up and I wonder if I really want to watch some of those. The same with books.

We could do well with less. Take life in bite sized chunks and enjoy those chunks while at it - instead of merely accumulating them for later. Life is for now and the now is about how much we can handle at the moment. A little less, is not a bad thing at all as opposed to stuffing stuff down our throat and not enjoying the meal.

1 comment:

Rajendra said...

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.