Dear Prime Minister,
In the light of the arrest of Anna Hazare and his team, I have a few questions that have been confusing me.
1) Is it a crime to ask for greater accountability, transparency in the way the government functions especially in light of all the allegations of corruption, Swiss bank hoarding etc that have plagued us?
2) Is an anti-corruption movement (a stronger Lokpal Bill) something that must be dealt with so strongly, an iron hand as in a military coup?
3) Are the corruption charges against Anna Hazare so serious that it warrants instant action as against all the dilly dallying against people who are still in power, who are brokering deals, who are threatening your government with ill gotten money and subsequent political clout?
4) Is it more important to stay in power than do the right thing?
5) Is Anna Hazare enemy No 1 of the state? What crime has he done?
6) Is the peaceful protest of an old man so dangerous that the state whisks him away at night when there are netas going on protests and fasts everyday and your government seems to be doing nothing about it? Our MPs are going about doing things as they please, holding dharnas, erecting statues, breaking statues, destroying public property and nothing happens to them.
7) Can you not see what the who world is seeing, that Anna is a symbol, a voice of frustration that the common man feels? That the common man is sick to death of this double dealing, double talk, insincere politics, shameless clinging to power at any cost?
8) Is the threat to launch a peaceful anti-graft agitation more dangerous than the threats to burn entire cities with unconstitutional methods, to kill people on the name of community that the government moves so quickly and forcefully and puts away an ageing freedom fighter, an upright police officer and a former beaurocrat? Is he more dangerous than communal parties that threaten the government brazenly to arrest them and see Mumbai burn?
9) Is this the Gandhian way? Is this how the founding fathers of our nation, built on such high principles and moral rectitude, would have guided you to deal with this situation?
10) Are you for protecting the corrupt?
11) Are you for hiding all those who are likely to be affected by the stronger Lokpal Bill?
12) Is this the leadership and direction you wish to give the youth of India? Protect the rich and corrupt at any cost?
13) Is this act moral?
14) Is it justified that people with far greater, far more serious charges than Anna Hazare are roaming the streets - murder, arson, genocide, corruption, causing loss to the nation, bribery, threat to peace - you name it you have it.
15) Is this what you were made Prime Minister for?
16) Is this doing your job? You say there is no magic wand to cure corruption. Isn't your job to try everything in your power to cure it?
17) Is it easy to sleep at night having done this? Having dealt with peaceful anti-graft protestors, having smeared them with all kinds of juvenile charges that are so laughable and petty compared to the large scale dacoity that is all around you?
18) You say you wish to bring a more powerful Lokpal draft and end corruption but you jail all those who ask for stronger Lokpal Bills. What does it mean?
19) Is this the legacy you would like to leave for your country? Softer laws to protect the corrupt, harsher laws for the small fry?
20) Do you think that we are all blind, deaf, mute?
21) Are you proud of what your government has done?