Thursday, April 22, 2021

Anjali - The Dog and It's Pups

 So this stray came into our compound and found a cosy corner at the end of the garden and had its pups. I heard their squeals and then told Anjali about them the next day and she was as usual thrilled. My concern was that she should be careful with the mother who might be aggressive at this stage and to stay clear but Anjali was on a different track.



'They must be hungry na?' she asked. 'Can I give them some food?'

Now my concern always when I do something for someone is that they will get used to it and never leave and this insecure belief of mine has stopped me from making any helpful overtures and also from making friendships that were made for no reason at all. '

'Err,' I said. 'Then they may never leave. Any way ask mamma.'

This was my way of making a decision.

Anjali asked Shobhs and somehow convinced her and then had a chat with her friend, mentor and guide in all things, especially canine, Niveditha, and found out what to feed and how. And so began the feeding saga. On day one, the mother growled, on day two also, on day three, also and on day four she didn't.

'Yeaahhh,' said Anjali. 'She didn't growl at me. The pups are also looking bigger.'

I noticed she had stopped feeding the dog and pups after a couple more days.

'What happened?' I asked.

'I think they are now ok,' she said nonchalantly. 'She is able to go looking for food etc.' 

Wow. Talk of tough love. And so we move on, having done our bit. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments: