Tuesday, November 12, 2019

An Interview with a Nonagenarian - Dr. Nalini Nargundkar

Dr. Nalini Nargundkar., my mother-in-law, was born on August 10, 1929. She remembers a time when there was no electricity, running water, gas, no public transport (tonga was an option) etc. I decided to ask her a few questions. She readily and happily obliged.

Q. What are the three most important things in life?
A. Family and friends, and the company you keep. Education. What you do for your livelihood, your aims and achievements

Q. What are your views about money?
A. Everyone requires a minimum amount of money for a comfortable life. I never wanted it so much that it lasts for seven generations etc.

Q. What is success?
A. Success is achieving what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a doctor in a time when there were not many lady doctors and when I did my MBBS I felt I achieved something. It's my biggest achievement.

Q. What do you think are the secrets to success?
A. Have an aim in life. Try hard to achieve it, and execute it successfully. But peacefully and to your heart's content. Mental peace is important.

Q. What are your views about family?
A. Children must be educated and you must bring them up in such a way that they will earn and live their life.

Q. What about relationships?
A. We had a good family. There were 8 siblings, 7 sisters and one brother. My mother used to welcome anybody and everybody so we learned to welcome people to our homes and be warm with them.

Q. What is your advice to those who are feeling low?
A. Don't lose heart. Keep working hard and you'll get it. Have an aim, work hard and you'll achieve it.

Q. Do you think honesty pays? Is there room for ethics these days?
A. There are no shortcuts in life. Honesty is the best policy. For one day you may feel you have cheated but it won't give peace of mind to you.

Q. What about happiness?
A. It is the most important thing. We have to be happy if we have to survive in this world. If you're pessimistic you will end up crying all your life. Decide to be happy and you'll remain happy. Since I survived, I'll make use of my life in whichever way I can.

Q. Your big regrets?
A. My mother committing suicide. We couldn't make her happy. She was very generous, sensitive.

Q. What is the one quality we must all develop?
A. Love and friendship. Understanding each other. You can be friends with people of any age. You can love anybody.

Thanks aunty.

2 comments:

Dr kailash Gupta said...

Had a chance to be with her when we were in Singareni coal compahy Kothagudem We were working at main Hospital Kothagudem Shme was my friend mentor and family Taught me various skill of medical profession.she treated my faily as an extended family always We have spent enormous beautiful moments together with her and her kids we really love and adore her from the core of our hearts and always pray for healthy and happy life Regards and love

Medha said...

To the point and no nonsense! Good read!