Monday, March 5, 2018

Thought for the Day - How to Be Happy and Optimistic Like I Was In College

For many years I was bothered by this question - how was I happier in college despite having far less than I have today? How did I feel I could change the world? How dd I feel that everything was possible?

And more importantly, as I grew older, why do I feel less and less like that? I loved that spirit. I struggled with this question for twenty five years.

It suddenly struck me the other day - a rather simplistic answer - that in college, the future is full of hope and possibilities. Whereas as we grow older, hope diminishes and possibilities decrease. We create our own logic of why things can happen or cannot and resign ourselves. Until there comes a time when we cannot do anything but sit in our chair.

Now, we may or may not be able to do anything with boundless hope and endless possibilities in our mind - in college or after - but for me that feeling was like a drug. So I decided to adopt that feeling again. I look at this margin of my life which was slowly getting smaller and darker and knocked it wide open.

The right margin is now like the big blue sky, open and endless. Full of hope. Ah, what a feeling! And with this feeling clutched deep in my heart and mind, I will live out the rest of my life.

Like a college kid with no limitations, no fears. Just wild hope. And all possibilities.

No comments: