Saturday, March 31, 2018

Anjali - Don't Say a Word

'I cannot wait for the exams to get over,' said Anjali. 'These days I dream of that feeling when the exams get over and I am enjoying my holidays.'

The fact was that the exams were not over yet. As an adult I felt I must immediately reduce these unwanted happiness and joy at the enjoyment after the exams. It was time to focus on the exams. Not indulge in such fanciful frivolities.

'But first,' I began. 'Finish your exams. Then you can enjoy your holidays...'

Anjali reached out from her seat behind me and closed my mouth before I could say more and completely ruin her fantasy. I stopped as soon as I realised what I had done. She knows it all well. She is doing her best. But I had to put in my two bits and take credit for what she was doing.

How often do we do that? How often do we mess up somebody's beautifully woven dream with such inane, insensitive and useless remarks?

Many times, it is best to remain silent. Let them flow with their happiness. We have no right to take that moment away.

Sorry Anjali. Next time, I will hopefully participate in your happiness. 

No comments: