Friday, December 10, 2021

Meeting Abdul Rub After 30 Years

 In my 7th class (1978-79), my father got transferred from Warangal to Hyderabad and we were uprooted from the fine St Gabriel's in Kazipet to the equally fine All Saints High School in Hyderabad. I joined the rather rowdy 7C which was located on the corner of the third floor, a bit compromised on ventilation but providing good views of Abids. I was hopeless at Hindi and my classmates, 60% of which were Muslim, only spoke Urdu, a rough version of it. One of the dadas of our class was Abdul Rub who had these mysterious green eyes, a mischievous demeanour and leadership qualities. 



Class of 82, All Saints High School
Standing - Me, Ram, Irshad, Satpal, Ammar, Md Ali, Nirmal, Baig, Haji, Arif, Khaled
Sitting - Farrukh, Farees, Rub, Shakeel

My world was far away from Abdul Rub's as I kept quiet, sat in a corner, spoke in English, tried to cope with the academics. He was busy making mischief and as I gathered, he was as a school cricketer too. I was in awe of him for many reasons. Once when I flunked a math slip test (my first flunk) I cried buckets, unused to failure. Rub came to me curiously, and asked, 'Kaiku rora re?' (Why are you crying?') Maybe I sobbed in answer. 'Fail hua bolke?' he asked again. (Because you failed?). Then he said something to the effect of - whats the big deal and went off. I was surprised that he actually had time to talk to me. (I don't think he would remember now).

They were a naughty, naughty bunch. Rub, Ved, Maqsood, Gabriel.

Me, Khaled and Arif

And then in the tenth I went for the school selection and played for the school team which had Abdul Rub and Farrukh Ali Khan from my class. We had some famous victories including beating HPS Begumpet. Then we won the Montfort tournament at Nalgonda. I played Under 15 state and South Zone that year. Rub and I became good pals. He would lead us to lunch at Bombay Cafe and order 'Tandor Mutton' like a pro. I never ate anything so tasty nor did I see anyone order it like he did. School done we split. 

Me gifting a copy of TMW to Rub

I met him once again when he came to watch the All Saints XI vs Rest of Hyderabad XI match at Lal Bahadur stadium - four or five years after school. I was delighted to see him and we spent some time talking and that was it. I did not meet my mercurial friend again. 


Until recently when someone in the WhatsApp group added him and we all got in touch. Then Abdul Rub came into town last week along with another classmate Irshad. I had to go to the meeting - to meet Rub and give him a copy of ''The Men Within' as a token of my friendship and for the beautiful memories. It was brilliant catching up with him. 

Arif's page!

Rub has moved to Saudi and has been there ever since the 90s. Not likely to move back. We planned to meet again before he leaves end of month. But was brilliant meeting him. Our boss. 

Of course Haji organised the meet at Iqbatan, a nice Arabic restaurant on Road No 13 Banjara Hills. I landed first as usual, Khaled came next, Arif, Irshad, Rub, Ammar, Nirmal, Satpal, Ram Mohan, Farees, Baig, Mohd Ali, Haji..maybe I am missing a couple. Good fun. Arif glanced through the book and chanced upon his name - was a fine moment - as he was amply rewarded for his curiosity.

Nirmal said I don't come often. I think I should attend a few more such. Caught up with Khaled and Irshad and Farrukh.

              

No comments: