Thursday, December 30, 2021

Talk to Osmosys - Lessons from Cricket

 Dinesh Madireddy and I have been in touch for a long time and he follows cricket and has been a player too. Though we thought of engaging with one another professionally before, we never had the opportunity. Turns out pleasantly that the Chairman of the company is Srinivas Medida, my junior from OUCE so we all had a good time catching up.



The theme was Lessons on Cricket. I decided to stress on three ponts.

1. The Importance of Being Part of a Winning Team

I made a case for why Hyderabad won the Ranji Trophy saying that the number of players there in the team, us juniors specially, had been part of winning teams from Under 15, 19, 22, 25, ubbiah Pillai, Buchi Babu and then even the Ranji Trophy. Despite performances that may not be earth shattering we all got to play higher cricket because we were part of winning teams.

When we commit to make our team win our performances also improve - like they did when i became highest wicket taker for the University in an Inter University tournament when all I did was only to help my team win without thinking of my performance. Another time I was selected to the South Zone team despite not getting any wickets because I had bowled an unselfish spell to help my team.

Tip - Think on how to make your team a winning team, how you can help, and see your performance improve.

2.  How to 10x Your Performance

I cited the example of how I had scored 156 against VST as an opener after telling my captain I would score the number of runs I had given away - 128. I realised that day I was underutilising my capabilities. If I was capable of scoring 156 on call, I can do it again and again by applying my resources well.

Tip - Set yourself a 10x goal and figure how to achieve it. You'll find a way.

3. How to Grow and Not Stagnate

I spoke of how I stopped at Ranji Trophy level after making it to the top 20 fast bowlers in the country because I had the wrong mindset. I had a fixed mindset which was not keen on working hard, was keen on blaming or finding excuses, and had given up believing I was not capable of more. If I had adopted the learning mindset I would have found a good mentor, asked for help, worked harder and come back stronger after being dropped.

Tip - If you feel you are not good, work harder, get help, find the right process and you will move ahead.

There were some good questions before we ended. Thanks Srinivas for the kind words and thank you Dinesh for the opportunity to interact with your team.  

No comments: