Monday, October 17, 2022

Tender is the Night - F Scott Fitzgerald

 I remember this novel being on my father's shelf and could never forget the name. Ever since I have always wanted to read this novel and when Abhinay gave it to me to read, I was waiting to get down to it.



The novel however is not easy to read as there are many characters and much happens that it needs a lot of concentration. After a couple of attempts to read it thoroughly I adopted my skim method to get past the book because I knew I would never read it otherwise.

It is apparently a story that mirrors Fitzgerald's life and one wonders when you read their stories that its rather difficult to live such lives. The hero of the story is Dr Dick Divers, a psychiatrist, a charming man, who marries a patient of his Nicole who has been subject to abuse from her rich father. She appears to recover and Dick also sets up a practice. They live on the French Riviera with friends and parties where he meets Rosemary, a young actress who falls in love with him. He does not have an affair with her though he says he loves her. Much happens but towards the end Dick grows into an alcoholic, Nicole is sent to some treatment where she recovers but then marries their friend Tommy. Dick pines away for Rosemary and lives a lonely, alcoholic life somewhere in the wilderness, managing a small practice.

Its depressing and gets into you. Not the best of books to read when you are looking for something to pick you up. But its a classic and you know why - you cannot forget the mood, the theme, the characters - they seep into you forever. But then read about Fitzgerald's own story and its rather depressing too.     

No comments: