Thursday, July 2, 2015

Thoughtfulness in Action - A Rare Attribute

It was the end of the semester (some two months ago). My first foray at teaching 'Arts Management and Digital Marketing' ended. It was a rich learning experience for me with an enthusiastic, growth-oriented class of students of the final semester of the Masters of Performing Arts course, Department of Dance, SN College, University of Hyderabad. My students, experts at Kuchipudi and Bharathanatyam, Niyanthri, Suchismita, Sneha G, Snehalatha, Jani Miya, Aparna, Aiswarya, Rohini and Ashwini were effusive and eloquent in expressing their gratitude to me and I could see it in their eyes that my efforts and ideas had made some impact. I don't know if I conveyed it but they taught me much too.

Last classes are all types. We move on. I remember one last class. Our Hindi teacher Mr. Tiwari from St. Alphonso's broke down and sobbed like a child during his last class when we were doing our Intermediate. I cannot even imagine that he was sorry at our going, some loss of some other part of his life must have triggered it. But it does make you wonder as a teacher when you see so much potential going out - with fear and trepidation, hope and courage - and you hope you did all to equip them.

Ashwini, whose boldness and sureness of action stands out, stepped up on this last class and gave me two gifts. One a fine poster she made (she is good with craft work and design) which said 'You are the creator of your destiny' and another a bookmark which said 'If you can dream it you can do it' on one side and on another 'You are never too old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream'. I can imagine the trouble she must have taken to make these gifts for me and the courage to show her appreciation of what she learned. There are times when it helps to look at that bookmark or the poster and nod. Yes, so it is.

And so I thank Ashwini for her thoughtfulness which is another rare attribute in people, and her action orientation, which resulted in these two gifts. Thoughtfulness is one thing, but thoughtfulness in action is rare. It's these little things that make our days - like a mail I received from an old client about how he benefited from our association that makes the effort seem worth it. I urge you, as I urge myself, put the thought into action.

And I wish Ashwini, and all others from the class, all the best. As I say, the class never ends. One always learns and teachers are always around to chip in. And thank you all for all that you taught. 

2 comments:

Ali Juddy said...

An absolutely amazing post Hari! I cannot imagine how I missed it earlier. It takes very little effort to make this world a wonderful place to live in and it boggles the mind that there is so much negativity spread around by ill informed people! I am an optimist and feel that all the coming generations will make this world a better place than what it is today. Anjali is one such person!!

Ali

Harimohan said...

Thanks Ali. I do believe that the coming generations will make the world a better place too - and I believe it helps if we set the right example, by word, by deed. Was good to see that gesture by Ashwini. :)