Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thought For The Day - Slow Down But Don't Stop

"Slow down but don't stop", is one of my favorite lines from 'The Men Within'. And I experienced the full meaning of that recently. Aren't we learning all the time?

Recently I set myself a one hour walk-jog routine for 21 days. Typically one of my main excuses to skip the walk (and thereby muck up the whole program) is the time constraint on days when you hit the park late. "I can't do the entire one hour if I go now. Let me go in the evening," is one of my favorite excuses. It never happens of course.

So this time I set a new rule. Whatever happens I go to the park. Even if it is for 5 minutes.

The day came. 5th day. Very little time. But I stuck to the new (and empowering rule). Went for 5 minutes - or that's what I thought. You never stop at 5 do you? Once I went there I saw that I really had fifteen or even 22 minutes if I squeeze in every moment - chuck the newspaper time, the chai time, the breakfast - and I could get myself another twenty minutes. And I did fit in as much as I could in that time.

Fact of the matter is - once you go there, you will find ways to make it happen. The mind needs to be sold the idea exactly as we sell these ideas to little children. The key then is to slow down, but not to stop.

I think I can do anything now - for 5 minutes at least!

No comments: