Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Year in Travel

This year has upped my travel a bit thanks to cricket tours. My long pending dream of sight seeing in Delhi came true finally. Not fully yet but I loved what I saw. 

With Vasu and Abhinay at Humayun's Tomb

Delhi, Jaipur, Ajmer, Pushkar, Cuttack, Vizag, Mahabalipuram, Vizag, Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore, Horsely Hills were some of the places I visited.



Delhi stays top of my mind just for the one day experience - me catching up with Vasu and Abhinay and then walking in the fog to India Gate, going to the beautiful Humayun's tomb, Qutub Minar, Jama Masjid and even visiting Karim's for a bite. Red Fort will have to wait but I loved what I saw.

Jaipur


I spent many hours exploring Jaipur in the two trips I made - and apart from the touristy things of seeing places, I have enjoyed the pleasure of walking along MI Road, stopping for a coffee at the India Coffee House with my colleagues, stopping by at the food court near Albert Hall Museum. Cannot forget the beautiful Hotel Taj Amer. Lassiwala, food at the chaat court, the famous veg restaurant whose name I forget.

Ajmer Sharif - with NP, Muskaan and Denzil

Ajmer, I visited with a fervent wish of beating Mumbai (which happened), Pushkar was an add on and it turned out that I made my offering to the departed souls of my parents and ancestors along with NP who had just lost his father. 

Pushkar - with NP


Some exotic meals cooked by Muskaan, delectable kachoris and malpao I think at Pushkar.

Cuttack's Barabati stadium

Watching the Mahanadi in Cuttack was an experience. I loved the Ravenshaw University and the old feel it had about it. It's huge, sprawling  grounds. The hospitality and friendliness of the people in Cuttack, Hotel Peepul Tree - so beautiful. That sweet they make - chenna poda.

At RK Beach Vizag with Pavan and NP


The throwback years to Vizag when I visited it, the way the town seems not to have changed much at all, the walks to the RK beach, the visit to the Raju gari dhaba, the wonderful hospitality by the locals, Hotel Daspalla, badam milk, Waltair Club.

Marzorin - my fav go-to place in Pune

Pune through the eyes of Anjali and Mansi who came with us on her first solo trip perhaps after their board exams. It was beautiful to indulge them with food from Marzorin, the steak place, Irani cafes, Durga cafe and so on. I have always enjoyed walking in Pune, and hopefully more of it this year.

With Timothy at Horsely Hills

Beautiful. Hopefully this year could have more travel - certainly would like to see more of Delhi, want to do a trip to Kochi to walk about Fort Kochi, Trivandrum when Mony visits next, Lonar lake, Thiruvanmalai when the calling comes, and whatever else life may bring.

Thank you thank you thank you god of travel for making  all this possible.



No comments: