Thursday, December 14, 2023

The Love of a Good Woman - Alice Munro

 Alice Munro is the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2013 and this book won her the Man Booker. It is a collection of eight short stories. Until the second story ended I somehow thought the story was the same and then I realised they were different stories and then realised i cannot understand these stories nor remember them or the characters and if I try to it is only to make myself act like I am smarter than I am to readers so I give up.



Instead I must dwell on how I got this book which was gifted to me by Pallavi who has the most eclectic of tastes in music and books and art and stuff who gifted it to me in 2021 along with another fabulous book - both of which I read.



The stories are about women and their different shades - a woman who leaves her husband and child and runs off, another w


ho is involved in the killing of a doctor who molested her, a bohemian couple, a young girl who lives with her dysfunctional father who made a living doing illegal abortions and so on.


Like all great writers, she leaves a stain on you, doesn't say things so obviously and stays with the theme and the emotion.

Thanks Pallavi.     

No comments: