Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Anjali - The Art of Motivating People and Bringing Them Together

 It's an interesting trait and I know I am not the best at it - the art of bringing a bunch of diverse people together and motivating them to participate in a common activity. A few months ago Anjali found this online game Psych and she needed people to play with her. She connected some random cousins of hers,  my nephew Shrinjay who has just finished his MBBS, her cousin Pooja, who has finished her architecture, Shikha, Vajra...all graduates, and some of her own peers like Mansi. I guess those who were available and could easily access the game and were oriented to games was the criteria.

Bringing them together - Pic Satish Nargundkar

Now, they have moved on to another game called Scribbl, which was introduced by Pooja and more people got added to it. Even I played a couple of times, so did Shobha. The games occupy an hour or so each day.

But what I found interesting is that fact that Anjali drives the show - motivating, cajoling, bringing people together, setting up times, energising the group mainly consisting of people much older to her. Gifs, messages, stuff keeps flying by until the whole thing is set up. Pleeaaaase, are you theeeereeee? she goes and pleads, cajoles the group into coming together and playing. When someone cannot come or for some reason no one gets time, there is no rancour. Onwards to the next day or the next game. The space is always welcome, with good fun and cheer, high energy and everyone's welcome. Easy to walk into right?

I realise its a good trait and I also realise how I deal with such things. I ask once and then that's done. I am also wary of bringing people from different groups together. I am certainly wary of playing with people above my weight. Hmm, lessons to learn.

No comments: