Friday, March 3, 2023

Thought for the Day - Hold Your Belief When the Stakes Increase

 This is something that always challenges you - you have beliefs which hold until the pressure increases and then you lose it. A recent experience taught me a valuable lesson.



Anjali was keen on joining a particular college for her 11th and 12th. So confident was she that she would make it to that college that she would not even look at other colleges. 'I'll get it Nanna,' she would say. We were used to the old school thought of backups and other stuff. 

One day I was speaking to a friend of mine about her decision and he immediately said - "man, that college seats are hot property. The seats will be reserved for those who use recommendation so she may not get it even if she writes well. I suggest you use some powerful recommendation to get admission."  

I told him that if I also try to get admission that way, the queue of these recommendation candidates will only increase. So I'd rather believe in the fairness of the process and go with it instead of using these methods. I spoke about it to Shobha and to Anjali and they were both fine with the idea. Whatever the consequences we'll go with it. For now, we'll hold our belief hat the world if fair and just (even if it is in Jubilee Hills).

As the exam approached we had to fight back a bit of a worry because there was really no backup. But as far as preparation was concerned we could not fault Anjali - she had everything done well. Exam written, we waited with bated breath for the results.

And a week later the results came - Anjali got in through the first list. So much for recommendations and insecurities and trying to control the process. Believe and it will happen the way it should.   

 This has been a classic relearning experience for me. Hold my belief from now on - however high the stakes may be. It will work, the way we want it to.

No comments: