Saturday, February 11, 2023

Well Played Anil Kak - You've Filled the World With a Million Smiles

The first image one gets of Anil from memory is that of this incredibly handsome face that is always smiling. I have not seen him otherwise. Maybe the first time I met Anil was in 1983, when he was bowling in the MCH nets at Parade grounds where Baig sir produced a dozen or more fast bowlers with minimum infrastructure. Anil was there, so was Gavin, Osman and RK said they were there and so was Asad they said. Anil had this bustling run up which ended in an explosive action. He bowled outswingers mainly, got good bounce and was one of those few fast bowlers who could bowl an effective bouncer. Gavin somehow never bowled a bouncer (nor did Sanjay).

Right top Anil - someone shared this pic on WhatsApp

Always polite, smiling, heart breakingly good looking, with light eyes and curly hair, he was easy to get along with. I was senior to him - so he always added that much respect when we spoke. I would go to those nets too and I feel that a week with Baig sir in those nets changed my cricketing destiny - he just made me something else for a season. Next I knew, Anil was playing for Hyderabad Under 19 and was among the new crop of fast bowlers coached by Baig sir who seemed to be running a fast bowling factory.

Marked - Next to him is Asad, Osman to far left (Under 17 team led by Masood, behind the cup)

Anil was my brother Ram's junior at JNTU, 1985-89, so we bumped into each other again. There were parties at home and they would drop in. Anil was just too good looking not to have a girl friend - one would think that with his looks he had his choice - but then I heard murmurs about his lady love and how he was devoted to her. None of us had any love interests so we were always interested in what was happening around. We'd meet at Inter University matches. I am not sure if he was in the JNTU team when the strongest Osmania team that we were part of lost the first match, while JNTU went on to the second round in Calicut before losing to the champions Madras University - which had WV Raman as skipper. Fareed was there, Soumitri was skipper. Ram.

Another one from WhatsApp - Champion

Anil played for Shamnagar (I think) and I remember one match to this day simply because he thought me out. Osmania University (my team) was playing Shanmnagar at OU, A grounds. Anil was bowling (and I remember seeing Asad bowl too and was impressed with his high arm action). I walked in to bat and OU is a good wicket to bat - have three hundreds there. Anil comes in to bowl and against all expectations, bounces at me. Perfect bouncer - coming at my head, aimed at the right shoulder. I was too egoistic to let it go and despite knowing there was a square leg for the shot, pulled at it weakly. Soft as hell, that dismissal. I felt like a fool. But I cannot forget the fact that Anil thought me out, read my psyche well and planned it to perfection. Hmmm. Another thing that I got seven wickets when they batted and we won but it always pricked me - that dismissal. Rare to see a fast bowler who thinks. A person who thinks actually.

Anil, far left, at the PES program

We got through our engineering days. There was a sports tournament that the OU College conducted which had an Old Boys team - we had passed out then but someone had this brilliant idea of playing an Old Boys team. We scraped around somehow and made the final. Ram was leading JNTU and we played against them and won - somehow it did not go well with them because it was not an Old Boy's tournament. Anyway, we didn't complain. Couple of boys from JNTU - Murthy for instance, played for MCC. Wonder why Anil did not play? Maybe he was already playing for Shamnagar perhaps.

PES - Anil, far left

We ran into each other when we played for OUCCMB (OU MBA) while I was studying MBA and we beat JNTU at Parade Grounds. It was a close match and we scraped through but I remember Anil being livid about certain decisions during that game. He was a fierce competitor and hated to lose. Suresh always remembers that - how livid Anil was at the decisions. 

Then it was work and jobs. When I was working with ITW Signode I was surprised to see him and Lalji walk into our Jeedimetla Office - they were supplying some material to ITW. I was highly impressed. Here was a Mechanical Engineer who was plying his trade and working as an entrepreneur. Old school stuff, kind of stuff we heard in the 60s that were drenched with idealism. We chatted for a bit and then he was gone.

He'd drop in at home to meet Ram. And then Ram set up Eersha and Anil and Sumeeta, the love of his life, came back into out lives. Sumeeta worked with Eersha and meeting them was more frequent. Anil was there when I launched my first novel 'The Men Within'. And sometime then, he would bring his ten year old nephew, a bespectacled Kartik, who then lived in Kenya or some place. (Anil's older brother Ajay was a table tennis champion and Kartik was his son.) Anil spotted potential rightaway and would bring him to Baig sir for coaching. He would also bring his young son Aryan, who had an action and run up exactly like Anil had. We'd meet there at the ML Jaisimha Academy those days. Kartik was a serious student even then.

At the launch of my first book The Men Within - 2007, Bhave saab took a shine for Anil somehow
 
After launch party at Sec'bad Club with other cricketers Vijay, Chetan, Bansi, Anil partially hidden 

Then Anil joined PES Engineers, Vasu and Suresh's company, perhaps frustrated with life as an entrepreneur. When I went to Delhi to launch my second book 'If You Love Somone..' he was there at the event. He came with us when we went to D Suresh's house for dinner that evening and the next evening, he took Prasad and me out for dinner in a lovely place. He was part of every single book launch after that I think. I distinctly remember him being part of the gang of cricketers that met at the screening of 'Golconda High School' at Prasad's - we talked until they shut the place down that evening.

In Delhi at the launch of 'If You Love Someone...' in 2010 at Pragati Maidan - Anil, me and Prasad 


At the Hyderabad launch of 'If You Love Someone..' 2010, Bhave saab again

My next significant memory was when I conducted a 'Visioning and Culture Setting' workshop for PES in 2016. The leadership team was there - 12 of them. Anil said something during the course of that workshop that I will never forget ever. After giving the team a job to do I sat back, waiting for them to figure it out in their own way. After the exercise, he came to me and said 'I am amazed at how you stepped back and let us figure it out by ourselves, not interfering, not prompting, just letting us be. It is impressive.' Or something like that. It was highly perceptive of him to notice that - I learned to do that after years of practice - to not interfere with the process. I don't think Anil ever knew how much it meant to me. That program also included playing a game of cricket which everyone played. Anil was his usual self, playing, competing, enjoying himself.

The PES team - Anil third from left

Ranjan worked with him and he would always be amazed at how Anil would not compromise on what he wanted. He would treat himself well, live in comfort, eat and drink the good stuff. That was a sign of healthy self-worth for me. Anil left PES sometime, but he continued to bring Kartik to Baig sir. He would talk to me and to many others about how Kartik was not getting the breaks he needed. Kartik meanwhile worked hard, had the intelligence, the skill and more importantly the performance in big matches and I knew it was a matter of time before he made his 'chachu's' dream come true.

The PES Leadership Meeting

A couple of years ago I heard from Ram that Anil had kidney issues and was on dialysis. That was devastating news. Ram told Anil to talk to me since I had a kidney issue a decade ago. Anil came home and I put him on to my nephrologist and good friend Dr Krishnan. I remembering us talking about working on the illness medically and also spiritually, mentally and in as many ways as he could. I might even have given him a copy of my favorite go-to book 'You Can Heal Your Life'. He was stoic and listened to all I said and said he would stay in touch. 

Out of the blue, a month ago I heard that he got a kidney transplant done miraculously. One of those out of turn things because the ones who were on the list were not available. The surgery was successful, he was recovering and I felt so happy for him. I called him and he said Dr Krishnan was very helpful - I never knew he was still with him. Six months of total care and he should be fine. A miracle. 

The PES Leadership team - Anil in the middle

Meanwhile Kartik made rapid strides and made his Ranji Trophy debut this year which must have made Anil's heart sing. Not just play, he got 24 wickets! I called him after Kartik got seven wickets against Maharashtra and we talked for a while. I messaged him again when Kartik did well and he replied.

But by then, I think the infection must have set in. Out of the blue I heard from Ram that he passed away. That was a shock because I was all set to see him normal. Why this infection suddenly? 

I went to Anil's funeral. Ram said he could not bear to see him like that and did not come. 

I was early at the Moosapet crematorium. I did not realise there was a crematorium there, next to the RTC depot. Vikram Muratee was there waiting. We chatted for a while, went for chai. Kartik and Suresh kept me in the loop. Suresh and Anil were thick - they had a deep friendship and Suresh would do anything for his handsome friend. RK  was effusive in his praise for Suresh - 'he did so much for Anil.' Apparently all his friends stood by him. Heartwarming to see such friendship. Dilip was there, Mahender, Suresh, Lalji, others from JNTU. Ajay, Anil's brother and relatives who came from Kashmir. Osman showed up coming from across the town - apparently he had gone to Bansilalpet that morning. RK was there with his young one Dhanush. Fittingly the cricketing fraternity was represented by four fast bowlers - Kartik, RK, Osman and me - Anil would have liked that.

Well played Anil. You lived life on your terms, something that many cannot claim to have done. I am glad you saw Kartik make his strides and I am sure you will see him fulfill the potential you always saw in him. Keep sending your blessings from up there - and stop worrying about him. 

Always a nice memory when I think of you Anil. So it is now, and I suspect, will always remain so.    

                  



8 comments:

Amar Chegu said...

We take the presence of people whom we love and respect, for granted sometimes.
Then comes a time when they are no longer with us and all we are left with are memories and sometimes regret at not having done more. Glad that this was not so for either Anil or his friends, amongst whom you were one.

One can only say, “Well played, Anil” and wish Sadgati Praptirastu to him. I pray that his family copes with their bereavement.

Life can be so uncertain- let’s relish it while we can.

Sanjeev Kak said...

I remember meeting Suresh and Hari and many of Anil’s cricket friends while visiting Secunderabad from Nagpur during 80’s when Happy (as we lovingly called Anil) was finishing his high school and deeply involved in cricket.
 
Cricket was his passion as was very visible how dedicated he was to the sport. I was in total awe when I first saw Happy bowling at the gymkhana grounds (I think that is what it was called)
 
He was the best player in our family and played his innings the way he wanted to play, full of excitement, life, and enjoyment and most importantly as this blog says, “at his own terms.”
 
Here is another story of how happy would face challenges head-on and with a “happy face”
 
When we all first cousins had Upanayana ceremony in Rawalpora Kashmir, for obvious reasons and being young, no one wanted to shave their heads (as is ritual during the ceremony). Baijee (my dad and Happy’s older uncle aka Tai Ji) offered a reward of 1000 rupees, whoever was brave enough to shave his head as per the ritual.

As brave and most importantly Happy was, one who took challenges with a smile on his face s, he took up the challenge and got it done. I am sure he was handsomely rewarded by Baijee.
 
He will live with us in mind and spirit till we hopefully meet again.
 
“There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Your brother Pamposh (Sanjeev Kak)

Anshu Vats said...

Anil was a very special person. He was my brother in law, but alas we didn't get to spend more time together. I am heartbroken that we didn’t make time in our lives to spend more time together. He was a uniquely affectionate person and his disarming smile always playing on his face, told you immediately that he is a friend! One knew after the very first interaction with him that he had a heart of gold. He took you at your face value. He didn’t have an agenda and would go all out to help you if he could. His calm demeanor was so assuring, you wanted him by your side in tough situations. The grief will remain for a long time to come, but the memories of his short time with us, will be there forever. As the author of the blog says - Well played Anil. Well played indeed.

Anshu said...

Anil was a very special person. He was my brother in law, but alas we didn't get to spend more time together. I am heartbroken that we didn’t make time in our lives to spend more time together. He was a uniquely affectionate person and his disarming smile always playing on his face, told you immediately that he is a friend! One knew after the very first interaction with him that he had a heart of gold. He took you at your face value. He didn’t have an agenda and would go all out to help you if he could. His calm demeanor was so assuring, you wanted him by your side in tough situations. The grief will remain for a long time to come, but the memories of his short time with us, will be there forever. As the author of the blog says - Well played Anil. Well played indeed.

Amar said...

Happy(Anil) will always be remembered as a very Inspiring and motivated person. Have known him since childhood school days. Was smart, humble kind and most importantly always used to help others and be united. He was our school captain, cricket captain, he also used to play other sports as well and stood out on them too. Our Physical Instructor teacher too was so envious about the way he used play T-T. Anil used to give him initial 5-6 points and they always used to bet 5-Star Cadbury’s (for the winner), He used to win time and again. He was very good at academics as well. Glad I spent so many years with him and share fond memories. I can proudly say he was instrumental me building some of my personalities he was very influential in a lot of positive ways. Fallen so early but never forgotten. He may not be physically present but will always be there in my thoughts for my lifetime. Om Shanthi!

Unknown said...

Dear loving Brother (Happy),
It has been a while since you left us, and it still feels like yesterday that we lost you. You were the kindest, most caring person I have ever known, and the world is a darker place without you. You always had a smile on your face and went out of your way to help others, no matter what. Your nature was rare, and I always admired you for it.
I want you to know that your legacy lives on, and your kindness and generosity have left a lasting impression on everyone you met. Your selflessness knew no bounds, and I feel blessed to have had you as my brother. You made a difference in so many lives, and I know that you will continue to do so in spirit.
Your passion for cricket was contagious, and you were always so proud of your skills as a fast bowler. You saw the same potential in my son, Kartikeya, and you invested so much time and effort into his training. Your guidance and encouragement have played a crucial role in shaping his cricketing career. He is following in your footsteps and has the same passion and dedication for the game. You were his role model, and he always looked up to you with admiration.
Your blessings and guidance will always be with him, and I know that he will make you proud. He will carry your legacy forward, and your love for cricket will live on through him. I promise you that I will do everything in my power to support him and make sure that he fulfills his potential.
We miss you every day, but we know that you are still with us in spirit. You were an angel in disguise, and the world is a better place because of you. I love you, brother, and I hope that you are at peace.
Rest in peace,
Ajay (Bunty)

Unknown said...

It is more than a month now. Yet the heart refuses to believe what the eyes saw.I close my eyes and all the lovely memories of my dear brother are in front of me.
My earliest memory of Happy Bhaya (Anil Kak) goes back to the early 1980s. During my winter holidays, I was on a short visit from Srinagar (Kashmir) to Hyderabad with my parents. It was the day of our arrival after a long journey spanning four days. He was coming back in the evening from his cricket practice. Tired yet Happily shouting out my name right from the lane outside his house in Begumpet. That picture of him is vivid in my memories: a slender frame, curly hair, a resplendent face, sparkling eyes, and a warm and loving smile. While he was visibly overjoyed to receive his kid-sister, I was over the moon to have received such a warm and loving welcome by a big brother.
Once I returned to Srinagar, we exchanged letters for a long time. Back then telephones were not used widely. I replied to him hesitantly initially because I feared I couldn’t match up to his writing skills. Of course, this exchange had a seminal role in my confidence build-up for communication, written and oral. I remember with fondness my formative years in Hyderabad where I studied for my graduation. I used to be so unsure of myself bordering on clumsiness while answering phone calls from his friends for him. My Hyderabad years are imprinted on my mind full of cherished memories with Happy Bhaiya taking me out to movies, meals, and outings.
We take life for granted and assure ourselves that our loved ones are going to last forever. We never muster the courage to tell them how much they mean to us. Life can surprise can us so unpredictably and cruelly sometimes.
I had always been in awe of my brother who was always fiercely protective of me.He stood rock-solid for me batting the entire innings of the rather rocky patch of my life. I could bank on him even if the whole world turned against me. Such was the trust he had evoked in me over the years.
We don’t come across people like him who spread their love and laughter similarly to people around them. God only knows why noble souls like him go so early.
He was a precious gem who shone with his brilliance of love, respect, loyalty, confidence and charisma.
He will always live in my thoughts with the values he indelibly imprinted on my persona.
BE HAPPY DEAR BROTHER

Raju said...

BFF - ANIL

I met Anil in my 4th grade as a classmate and he is my lifemate. We shared our highs and lows, cherished even our lows because of his optimism. PURE optimism towards whatever life throws at us. ANIL is OPTIMISM.

As I am reading the post and comments from everyone, CRICKET is mentioned in the same breadth as ANIL. His love for that sport is well known amongst us, for me, I liked Cricket because Anil loved it. I was not into cricket during my school years but listening to him talk about Cricket and cricketers during our combined studies was so much fun. In his room, there were 2 poster of Cricketers (you all may have guessed it by now) Kapil Dev and Imran Khan. There was a spark in his eyes while talking about them. ANIL is CRICKET.

Fast forward, I was away from Hyderabad during college years. I started visiting Hyderabad after college and that was the time I met Anil again, as an entrepreneur. The birth of “MetallMagic Engineers” along with my school buddies. I used to hangout in the workshop and hear him talk about projects, orders, execution and dealing with challenges. Though I couldn’t understand much, listening to him depicts his love for mechanism. ANIL is ENTERPRISING.

We were together in our journey of love, marriage and life with family. I always had a great time just being next to him and all those parties laughing away to glory. ANIL is FUN.

I moved to US and visited Hyderabad whenever I could; during my visits I looked forward to meeting Anil as much as my parents. I spent time with him in August 2022 and there he is, ANIL with OPTIMISM, love for CRICKET, ENTERPRISING and FUN.

Cheers to my BFF – ANIL!!