Thursday, December 29, 2022

A Late Night Visit to Shadab

 For a while now Sagar, Taher and I have been planning to go to the old city. Sagar has been talking of the days when he and his friends would go to the old city and eat some palak paneer and roti and he wanted to do that again. So we decided on a day and set off rather late in the night. Taher said he would join us directly there.

Waiting

Despite traffic it took us about 45 minutes to get there. I dropped Sagar and went to find a parking place - I should have parked near the High Court because all the cars were parked there but I seriously paid heed to the No Parking signs (when the rest of the world was not) and kept going right up to City College almost. I found that No Parking signs were all around the place and finally found a place to park. (With some help from a surly mango seller who was upset that my parking was affecting his business and advised me to park ahead).

Eating


Anyway after a long walk back I found the two sitting and waiting in a long line of people waiting - families and friends by the dozen there - and found a place soon after on the first floor. Roti, palak paneer and biryani and we were soon digging in. Chai at the ground floor and paan after and that was an evening well spent.

If I remember right I began the year at Grand Hotel,  recently tried Bahar and now Shadab. They are generally OK. Haven't found the perfect biryani yet - something that compares to what Mohini Restaurant used to serve up in the late 90s.       

No comments: