Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Helping Hand Foundation to the Rescue!

 Mujtaba Askari (Mujjam to us) and I played cricket together when we were in college. He was a stylish batsman and then he went into software (worked with Infosys) before embarking on social service through his NGO Helping Hand Foundation. Helping Hand Foundation offers services like Medical Relief, Help Desk at Govt Hospitals, Free Dialysis Centres, Urban PHCs, Home for the Aged etc. They did great work during COVID and are always helping out the needy. His team is at hand at the Osmania General Hospital to help and I remember I had sought his help when my maid's husband Raju had some serious health issues and they swung into action and helped out wholeheartedly.

A week ago I saw this young man sitting on the pavement on my morning walk bandaging what appeared to be  badly hurt foot. I passed him by despite a voice in my head saying I should stop and see if I could help. Couple of days later I find him there with the same bandaged foot - this time i gathered courage and went back to ask if he needed help. He said he had cut his foot badly on a stone. He was sitting right in front of the Unani hospital so I asked if he went to get treatment. He said he cannot go there because they need an Aadhaar card. I asked him if he needed help but he said he was getting better and did not need any help. 'If I need help I will ask,'  he said.

The pic I sent


I walked off.

That day I saw a post by Mujtaba about how they helped some needy person and i messaged him about this chap. Mujtaba said if I sent his picture and location his team will go and rescue that guy. So the next day i saw the fellow I told him I was going to send his pic and location and someone may come to help. He nodded without any enthusiasm. I asked him his name - Dilip - and sent his location, name and pic.

Helping Hand Foundation team to Dilip's rescue

A few hours later I get this pic back. Helping Hand team had come, convinced the reluctant Dilip to go with them for treatment and housing at their shelter until he gets better!

Incredible. Great work Mujtaba and the entire Helping Hand Foundation team. 

I'm very impressed with their work and I would urge any of you to check out their website and reach out. 

  https://helpinghandf.org/

For Emergency Relief, Counseling and Guidance call +91 8121601990, 8790679505

No comments: