Monday, May 10, 2021

Anjali - Akela and Her Pups

 So this stray that laid a litter in our compound now feels at home. Anjali has been feeding her and her four little pups for over three weeks now. Now, they seem to have become friends.


Anjali is thrilled that the mother has allowed her to touch her, or is ok with Anjali going near the pups. Anjali does it very intuitively, which is a wonderful thing and now she feeds them all. She has named the mother Akela, after the 'Jungle Book'' wolf character.


The pups don't have names yet. Now they are venturing out on their unsteady legs and wobble around a little further than where they earlier were. They squeak and squeal and no they are making all this noise next to my window. 

The other day there was major drama when the GHMC dog pound guys came to catch strays. Akela was being fed by Anjali at exactly the same moment and it ran off when it sensed danger. It's amazing how they hear the sound of that van and sense it. Anjali was distraught when Akela went missing for a long time. She called Niveditha aunty and she told her to wait till next morning for Akela to come back. 

We worried, I certainly did, all night. I hoped we could have done something to stop them from taking this mother away from her young pups. I was thinking where the dog pound might be, and if we could get it back from there. I could not imagine the pups by themselves without their mom. Anjali was prepping to feed them until they grew up if by chance Akela does not return.

Till late in the night Akela did not return. Images of it being separated from its pups flashed in my mind. It stayed heavy in my heart.

I am sure, on Anjali's head too.

Next morning, I went with a hesitant step towards the corner to see how the pups were, I saw Akela's mouth peeping out from behind the pot and my heart leaped up. Never was I happier to see a stray dog that laid pups in my house. Anjali was still not up but I reported it to Shobhs.

Ah, when Anjali woke up, it was heavenly to see the joy on her face.

Akela was back.

No comments: