Friday, February 26, 2021

The Youth Series - Pooja Nargundkar

 So here's Pooja Nargundakr, answering questions on 'The Youth Series'. Pooja is an architect, 28 years old, and has seen enough of the world to have her own opinions on it. So here they are.


Q. Your thoughts now - On the education system. 


PN: Maybe I could add something or thoughts on the new education policy. I do not really talk or interact with kids that much so I don’t know what is happening in schools. But a few years back I remember students being pressurised with workload, homework – parents literally doing kids home works, me doing helping some of my cousin’s presentations etc. OR helping them completing their projects. I think children should not be overburdened. With over doing academics.

Q. If you were the education minister what would you do?

PN: I would focus more on value-based system and contributing to society and getting students disciplined. More about overall development.

· Introduce options in normal curriculum/syllabus like home science, yoga meditation, craft or DIY or things we had like- SUPW (Socially Useful Productive Work), sports into schools. Make any sport of their choice/liking - compulsory for kids. It helps in a lot of skills needed in real life scenarios. I personally believe it has helped me a lot. They need to be active and study both. Any hobby to be compulsory. (dance/creative writing/singing/crafts/photography/web designing/graphic design/workshops/stitching/pottery/painting/collecting things/recycling things/model making/sketching) You need these things other than studies for a holistic overall education. Not just academics.

· There are many subjects ignored totally in school – History, Culture, Religion, Finance, Politics and Economics. I think children from high school should be engaged in these discussions as well. Things should not remain just in books.

· I am not sorry to say this – But I genuinely feel there is a lack of knowledge when it comes to Disaster Management and First Aid in schools. And to be best prepared for any scenario – Not war but something of even how to handle a situation – If there is a fire, if there is an earthquake, Injury to close people/friends – We do not know what to do. I would like something of this kind not A military level thing but basics to be taught and practiced in schools. It helps in overcoming tough situations in one’s life. What does one do in the pandemic? Can they help in any way by their contribution to rehab centres after flood situations? I think students can. They have much more access to information now than we ever had.

· Children from a young age need to learn to do things on their own. Keep things flexible things change for students – interests. Encourage them to pick things from variety.

· There would be a grading system (No marks). Personally, I have no value for marks. Anything that motivates them. Do not load them with work.

· Education or learning has to be about enjoying it having interest and learning – Not being forced to do things. If a kid hates maths after basic learning, allow them to take up what they want and explore. You never know what wonderful results would come out of this. Everything doesn’t need to be about marks. It could be about feeling good too.

· Punishments in the form of innovative creative things. Make them clean. Deliver a lecture. Give presentations. Help teachers. Help other students with their work. Etc. Maybe something skill based.

· Have more counsellors into the system to guide students when they don’t have friends, parents or teachers to approach. This even applies to college-level courses. Teachers cannot be everything these days. This is one essential thing I find lacking in the system. It will help focus on mental health of a student too. So it doesn’t feel like an alien concept later on.


Q. Why are the youth easily influenced?

PN· I think anyone is. There are very few who aren’t. That’s why many gurus have so many followers. And they make businesses out of it. That is how even religion works I think. That how companies sell products. We buy. Not against it. Just pointing out.

· The problem with getting influenced or even brainwashing is you don’t even know what information you are fed is true/false. Sometimes there is no way to verify/check that. Sometimes you are too ignorant also. There are many blind believers today. We need to be more informed I feel.

· The youth is distracted I think. They like temporary things. Many of them are to my knowledge easily influenced. Anything is too offensive these days. Too many reactions and opinions and hatred. Too much of information available too. I do not blame anyone. Blindly believing things – and easily influenced yes. I agree. There is an exception always.


Q. Your views on religion?

· It is a weird – almost funny relationship I have with religion. I have never been that inclined to religion from my childhood. It always felt like a forced and alienated concept to me. I learnt shlokas, read stories about gods etc. enjoying all of that. But I always questioned (WHY) everything and was never convinced by the answers. Pertaining to many customs and rituals mainly.

· But I never tried to understand religion earlier. I do respect it. Or the people who follow. All religions even those I have never heard of. I find it very hard to understand a person’s faith can mean so much.

· But when it comes to Religion being dragged into politics. Or the reason for killing someone. Now that’s where I will draw the line. That’s unacceptable. I think everyone can choose what religion to follow or not. Which god. What practice. What they want to wear. Etc. I think people who do follow religion must respect people who don’t follow it and not force them. We can always live in harmony. We have to want it.

· Having said that - I do not believe in idol worship. I do not feel connected. I do it only for my mother or because she says do this. Which I know most of my friends/youth do too.

· I find it very interesting that people go to temples only when there is an exam, they are going through tough times, they want something. I think if this is the relationship with God. I would rather not have it. Again these are my thoughts – Not to offend anyone. But there are others who do it regularly, follow everything customs, rituals- Because they believe God will help them/save them in their troubled times. So I like understanding all this and I still continue to do so.

· I find some concepts very interesting that God is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. And yet we need loudspeakers to sing bhajans. So why can’t we sing in our mind?
Then why do we need a place of worship at all? These are just examples of some questions I have there are millions like this.

· I am trying to read and understand spiritualism now. These subjects make me curious – Meditation, Yoga, bhakti movement, Vipassana, Bhagavad Gita, Talks by Brahma kumari- BK Shivani, Sadhguru (used to enjoy it not anymore), Radhanath swami, Gaur Gopal das, Dalai Lama, Ramana maharishi, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Samantha, Gajananmaharaj.


Q. Your role models?

PN· I am not sure. There may be many. I actually don’t believe in this concept. I don’t want to be like someone. If you want to know the reason. The circumstances, situation every individual is born and their ability or capacity to deal with things /handle things will be different.

· I just want to know myself more and be the best I can. I hope to inspire others someday. Hope to be someone’s role model maybe haha

· If I have to really answer it – (People, I really look up to)

1. APJ Abdul Kalam

2. Kalpana Chawla

3. A R Rahman

4. Michael Jackson

5. Mother Teresa

6. Mary Kom

7. Ratan Tata

8. Bill Gates

9. Oprah Winfrey

10. SonamWangchuk

11. Charles Darwin

12. Vasco da Gama

13. Christopher Columbus



Q. What are the 3 things to change in society?

PN: 1. Poverty – Raise minimum wages of People so they get at least basic income for basic needs.

2. Mind-set of people – About Sex, LGBT, Sex-education, Women, the institution of marriage, having children, Politics and Economy.

3. Education system – Hopefully the new policy does some good.

Q. Your favourite movies?


PN· It’s a huge list. I hope you have the patience to read it.

· The Sound of Music – I know this movie literally by heart. because it is beautifully made with music. All the songs are my favourite ones even today. Can watch it on repeat any day anytime.

· Casablanca, Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Bicycle Thieves, Interstellar, Inception, Forest Gump, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pulp Fiction, Memento, V for Vendetta, The Prestige, The Matrix, Imitation Game, many more I cannot recollect I think. I am a huge movie buff.

· Animated - Mega Mind, Finding Nemo, Kung Fu Panda, Lion King, Inside Out, Ratatouille.

· All Avengers, Iron man, Dark knight and X men movies (Huge Marvel fan and Superhero comics.)

· Hindi Bollywood – Rang de basanti, Lagaan,Taare Zameen Par, Jodha Akbar, Dil Chahta hai, Delhi Belly, Queen, Udaan,Tumbaad, Trapped, The Lunchbox, Ankhon Dekhi, Ship of Theseus, Dangal, Lootera, Dum laga ke haisha, Jaane tu ya jaanena, Hera pheri, Raanjhaana, Haider, Tanu weds Manu series, Sahib Biwi Sangster, Gangs of Wasseypur, Johnny Gaddar, Kahaani.

· Old – Mughal e azam, Chalti ka Naam Gaadi, Golmaal, Padosan, Teesri manzil

· Bengali – Charulata (I don’t remember the other I watched. Many in the pipeline.)

· Marathi – Jogwa, Katyar kaljat ghusli, Shala, Killa, Balak-palak, Harishchandrachi factory, Natrang


Q. Your favourite music?


PN: I love music. I think I am very fond of sounds. I had a chance to learn classical Carnatic music when I was in Harihar with my sister. Unfortunately, it did not last long enough as we moved to another city entirely. When I look back I think I liked the limelight then even though I am very shy as a person. I have always been a part of singing (choir of school) drama and dance groups until college level. I don’t really know if I was that good. I enjoyed singing.

· Coming back to the question. I always loved Hindi music when I was young. All the old Kishore Kumar…Rafi. Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle. Not to forget Bollywood. And the only reason is my father. His love for music & movies exposed us to this. Interestingly as we stayed in many different states I was always exposed to the cinema music of regional languages too. (Kannada, Malayalam, ghazals etc.)

· Personally I think there are phases. And music and you evolve with it.

· Childhood – Hindi Bollywood, Old classics from Kishore Kumar, Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar

· Teenage – There was a time when you start exploring things. I explored a whole new world of music international. Thanks to my mother and grandfather as they listened to many Artists. That was how it started. Then a huge influence was Hari mama as we used to share music playlists back in the day on Cd. I loved rock, pop and hip hop at this time. Even indie-pop music popular in India. Hated jazz as I never understood it.

· As I grew older I realised I am a big Rock fan. Be it Psychedelic, Progressive, Alternative rock, grunge, pop-rock or even Electronic. I have never understood trance or EDM. I try. Interestingly my liking for Bollywood music has declined drastically unless they are beautiful like the ones from Dum Laga ke Haisha or Lootera. I like Indian folk, fusion, ghazals and classical music too now.

· Some of my favourite artists – Again a really long list., A R Rahman, Shankar Mahadevan, Papon, Mohit Chauhan, Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Lucky Ali, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shilpa Rao, Usha Uthup, Alisha Chinai, Harshdeep Kaur, Richa Sharma, Shubha Mudgal, Rekhabharadwaj, Hariharan, Jagjit Singh, Javed Ali, Shafqat Amanat Ali, Vishal Dadlani.

· MJ, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Chris Martin, Adele, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Sia, Celine Dion, Steven Wilson, Freddie Mercury, David Bowie.


Q. Your philosophy?


PN: I don’t know what qualifies as a philosophy. Maybe when I am 60 years old I will know. I have always believed that I want to be a good person/being/human and do the right thing. Be noble and just. I always want to help people in a way to encourage them to do better and motivate them. I want to do things to contribute to the environment and humanity in some way. Maybe invent something. And always wanted to seek some kind of truth about life and existence.


That is wonderful. You have been honest and very detailed in your answers Pooja. I love your idealism, the search for meaning, the desire to do the right thing, the questioning. I felt your love for music ad movies came through instantly as it took on a different energy. And your views on education, religion. youth are clear and enlightening. I know there are a few more questions you sai you'd answer later and I hope to get that lot soon. Meanwhile, I wish you good luck and may all you wish for and desire come true. 

No comments: