Sunday, November 21, 2010

Top 10 Rock Anthems

Back to my lists. My top 10 rock anthems. I must also pay tribute to one mad night many years ago at my house when we played nothing but loud rock music for a good7 hours until our ears practically gave up. The list, in a random order though I will try to get them in order of rank.

1) Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd: All time favorite. First heard in 1977 on a friend's system. Heard Roger Waters perofrm live in Bangalore, not once but twice, and it was mindblowing.

2) Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N Roses: An instant hit from the day I heard it and I can listen to it at anytime. First heard when I bought the cassette in the early 1990s.

3) Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana: I searched high and low until I laid my hands on this number. Loved the entire album 'Nirvana Unplugged'

4) Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple: The Deepest Purple by the Deep Purple has been with me since I was 14, an old TDK tape that I still possess. Also the local rendition of Katalog of which Ram's freind Sunail sang the lead vocals.

5) Creep - Radiohead: Another song that I instantly took to and one that I can listen to any number of times. Again, one from the 1990s, and from an assorted album.

6) Thunderstruck - ACDC - Though I loved their album 'Back in Black' most, I simply like this song for the energy it has.

7) Holiday - Scorpions: Another classic that I can hear anyday. Been a Scorpions fan since the eighties and Holiday tops the list with Winds of Change following behind.

8) Hysteria - Def Leppard: Though a bit on the soft rock side, this song is something I can listen to anytime. Discovered it in 1991 when I got the album Pyromania.

9) Where The Streets Have No Name - U2: Stuck on it ever since I watched the music video of this song. Racy, catchy and something you can listen to anytime.

10) Somewhere I belong - Linkin Park: I love this band and think it makes some fresh noise with some decent lyrics. This is my favorite.

I must have missed several of my other favorites but what good are they if they do not come to my mind instantly?

No comments: