Then then slow trek back. After a two hour walk, settled down at Pine Tree and got Satya to bring me a nice coconut. Read a bit, wrote a bit, ate breakfast and waited for Vidyuth to arrive.
We decided to go to Panjim and check out the Latin Quarter or Fontainhas, which is the oldest Latin Quarter in India. It's in good shape and brightly coloured thanks to a law that says all houses must be painted every year after monsoon.
Any bright coloured background attracts reel makers and the streets were full of tourists. It looked like a set out of Ramoji Studio.
The place has beautiful Portuguese houses, little cafes, bars, and is just a pleasure to walk around. The number of tourists and their photographs have irritated the locals and there are many boards saying photography is prohibited.
I read somewhere that there was a residence of Vasco da Gama somewhere there. It definitely needs a half day walk, stops at various bars and cafes.
From there we headed to Dona Paula where I wanted a couple of pictures related to my novel 'If You Love Someone...'. Much of the story is set around Dona Paula. We parked near Sandalwood hotel and then I walked down to the beach behind it where I got some pictures - pure nostalgia. Great memories. It's a novel close to my heart and if I write a sequel I need better research than I did the first time.
Then a long drive back to Pine Tree shack. I headed out to the beach to catch the sunset and just about did. Was a lovely sight. I sat looking out at the sea when Satya came and asked if I wanted a beer - he has this knack of asking need at just the right moment. I think I must have had 3-4 beers only because of him.
And then Vidyuth came and we sat and chatted. A nice evening under the stars. Towards the end we saw Gopal heading back with a hookah and asked if we could try it. Gopal got me a filter and I smoked in a bit of some apple galleries flavoured stuff. Another out of comfort zone stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment