Thursday, March 10, 2022

Darkness - Bharati Mukherjee

 It is a collection of 12 short stories about immigrants to the US and Canada. I normally try to recollect the stories which is an indication of the impact they have made of me. There was a story of a father who hits his young daughter on her womb - they are immigrants but he still has his honour I guess. One about Sikhs in California - a young boy who talks to his grandfather who talks to him about assassinating Gandhi on October 2, 2948 (wasn't that his birthday? I missed the context is there was any). 


One about a young lady who marries a perfect catch in the USA and is looking for a dalliance. One about an affair caught by the wife - an old man and a younger lady. One doctor called Manny Patel who appears in two stories who is rich but goes for young women and gets blackmailed once. A story where they call Hindi as Hindu. A bunch of cooks who resist the cops and get shot.

Stuff like that.  I am not a very good short story reader I think.

No comments: