Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Meeting Baig Sir After the Pandemic

 After recovering from his serious illness where he was laid low for a year, Baig sir had to cope with the pandemic. We stayed away from meeting lest we expose him. And it was only recently that Prakash, a die hard fan of Baig sir and one of his best students, invited Baig sir and me to his new home in Rajendra Nagar.

Prakash, Baig sir and me

I went to his house, a lovely little flat with lots of ventilation. The greenery of the Agricultural University will remain and the area retained a nice rural flavour. Prakash's son Manideep told me many things about his desire to become a director (he is seven) and how he sees everything at different angles and how he uses the camera and stuff.

Baig sir came with Mrs Baig and they were in good spirits, MrsBaig especially always has a lovely smile and is full of mischief and laughter, a terrific attitude to life. Baig sir was happy to see me and Prakash, and as usual asked me about the state of cricket, foretold the doom of cricket and asked how we can correct it. I said we cannot, it is flowing like a river and we flow with it.

Watching the IPL auction

He smiled. He has become rather weak but he is able to walk on his own, speak quite coherently. He cannot eat hard stuff and tries to eat soft stuff. We watched the IPL auction for a while before I left - i had come early and had another appointment. As usual he said an enthusiastic bye and I promised to visit him at home soon. Thanks Prakash, was great meeting Baig sir thanks to you.


No comments: