Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Usual Suspects - Movie Review

I suspect that I saw this movie before but the sad part is that I never really knew if I did even when it ended. As with most such movies I also did not understand when and what and why it went the way it did but well, if they leave you feeling like they got you in the end, their job is well done.

Five suspects are pulled up for an identification parade. They team up together for a job and one job goes to another until they all die. Almost. Except one guy, Kevin Spacey. The cops go at the investigation in the most ham handed manner ever and the only witness to it all is let off after he cooks up a fine tale including a mythical gangster who is like the devil. He tells his story convincingly enough, gets immunity, walks off and then it strikes the cop who interrogated him that perhaps all the stories he made up were from random lines and names off paper cuttings on the wall. You see, he is the guy who killed them all, the devil himself.

Most improbable this story. Why the cops would let the only witness to a crime where there are over 20 bodies piled up (don't tell me that was a story too) based on one cops judgment beats me. Why I watched this movie a second time beats me. The name sounded good - that's why. In fact these guys apparently first came up with the name (from Casablanca) and then built the story around it. I can understand. For all the hype and stuff, the story is full of holes. Kevin Spacey won the Academy Award for best supporting role for his performance - good as ever. But no more Usual Suspects for me. No sir. No more.

No comments: