Friday, January 3, 2014

Sinhagad Climb - A Satisfying End to The Year

On the 29th of December, 2013, late at night, we were o take a call on whether to trek up the Sinhagad hill, something which we would do with great relish when we were younger. The general mood was that we should, but as the evening came upon us, we decided that we better give it a go by. I called Parth, the main mover of the plan, and told him it was off. He was ok with the idea and said that he'd go anyway with Maria and Neha.
Sun rise at Sinhagad

Barely ten minutes later it struck me that I better do this for myself. I have been struggling with my weight, my fitness, my knee and shoulder problem and all sorts of things and I thought that I better attempt this now before I fall further in my own esteem. I called Parth and told him I was on. He said that the party was now reduced to two - me and him. He'd pick me at 630 a.m.
Parth waiting and wondering if he did right in getting me along
It was pretty dark at 6 and a faint light crept in at 630. Parth was on time as usual and we drove to Sinhagad, a half hour drive. We started the climb - it normally takes an hour and 20 minutes perhaps but in my current shape I expected it to be longer.
The climb

The first part is a gradual climb but deceptively so because it always knocked the wind out of me. But this time was really bad. Barely ten minutes into the climb and I was gasping for breath. Anyway we plodded on, Parth waiting patiently for me, as I struggled up and up, and up. Until I could do it no more. My breath was gone, my legs gave up, and I say down on a rock. Parth waited, not saying a word, which is a brilliant way to push me. I rested, got up and plodded on again.
Parth waiting

There were times when I could do nothing but take the next step, that I could see nothing but the next step. I had no energy for a photo, to do anything else but climb, and I did it, step by step.
Me resting and waiting for my breath to catch me
I would identify stretches of ten feet and take those ten steps and then the next. Thankfully a couple joined us and distracted me enough - they spoke as if they were part of some play or some Woody Allen movie - all intellectual questions and answers.
Limbu sharbat

Don't you think our perspective to life changes with our weight, asked the young man. It depends, said the young lass. They were living in the US and were also pondering on whether  San Diego was a better option or someplace else. Once they faded out I decided to distract myself with some music and played some in my mobile. One hour forty minutes of sheer effort later, perhaps as many as five stops on the way (never before did I stop, but then I was fifteen kilos lesser), I reached the top and dragged myself across.
Sinhagad conquered!

Ah, bliss!
Parth waiting
This climb meant more to me than many things and I was glad I did it. I was also glad that Parth motivated me in his quiet way, only once enquiring if I was in any pain. I said no, it was just breath. A refreshing limbu sharbat, and then we climbed some more to the first hut where the maushi gave us hot onion pakoda and masala chai.
The way down
But up there on the hill was a breeze that was to die for - it makes the whole climb worth it. We enjoyed the bhajji and chai and started back.
Onion pakoda and chai
I trekked slowly now, careful not to twist my wobbly knee.
Kids climbing
 On the way down we encountered school kids by the bus loads, running up the climb with school bags on their backs! And then I saw another group of young men singing patriotic songs and carrying an orange flag - a scene out of any period film. Crazy. We stopped once for masala butter milk and slowly descended, creaky joints and all.
Parth waiting - on way down
This climb meant much to me at the end of the year. Another of those things that remind you that you can do it, that you are stronger and better than you think you are. I know how much I pushed myself and there were times when I worried about my capability to take it. But I did it and that is all that matters. I am so glad that I had Parth for company and I must say that he is one hell of a man-manager, never letting me wallow into any self-pity and always being just a shout ahead.
Parth waiting again - for the last time!

Good stuff Parth and thanks a lot man. You don't know what this means to me. The fact that I did it on 30th gives me time to let the feeling sink in and meet the New Year with hope, with courage and with confidence. And also promise myself to be in better shape the next time.

No comments: