Friday, August 21, 2026

Talk at Kalari, Alliance University, Bangalore

My students from the Department of Dance, University of Hyderabad, Kavya and Datta have both joined Alliance University, Bangalore as faculty. They are both Assistant Professors and teach Kuchipudi. 
I had taught them in 2019 so I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from Kavya asking me if I could take a session or two on Arts Management which is the course I had taught them. Since I was going to Bangalore on some work I told her I could do a session and we fixed it for today. 

Alliance University at Anekal is a 60 acre campus, lush with trees and greenery, full of students. It's very well organised, beautiful buildings etc. I loved their department, the food courts, the grounds and so on.

Since I went early I met Dr Sreedharan, Director of Indian Knowledge Systems, and was amazed at the body of work he has done in translating many rare works. 41 books he said and gifted me a copy of a book with Tulu poems (The Land that Speaks) that he translated into English with Dr Sruthy Chandrasekhar, Head of Department. 

The session was from 10 to 1 and we had about 30-35 students who participated actively as we discussed having a purpose, the approach to doing their best work, learning mindset, the 10000 hour rule to expertise, theories on how to be an expert, deliberate practice, deconstructing skill, preparation on three levels - physical, skill and mental, importance of feedback, touched a bit on marketing, finance, and made them do 20 year goals as an exercise. It was great fun and I enjoyed the interaction, the sharing.

Kavya and Datta took me out to lunch at the food court and we took a pic and parted. Thanks Kavya and Datta.

No comments: