Thursday, May 2, 2024

Thought for the Day - Mom's Mango Tree Surprises Me Again

 Mom planted the tree in the mid 1970s. For over forty years I did not even acknowledge its presence - showing how unaware we can be. Until a few years ago, maybe five years ago, I realised that the tree usually gives off a huge crop - one summer we picked off 600 mangoes - huge and sweet pedda rasalu. Ever grateful to Mom I distributed them to many.



There is a constant demand for the fruit from my colony predators who say its the best mango tree in the colony. The people from the three houses behind ours take away all they can with their fruit picking implements. Last year our neighout into whose house a large part of the tree and the crop goes - asked if we could chop the branches off. Almost 30% of the tree went and my heart went out for it.



Vasu would come to pluck mangoes. Rajesh plucked them this year. Manga makes lovely avakai.

Abhijit just loves to sit under the tree. So do I.



This year I was not sure how many would remain but Rajesh and Lakshmi braved the sun and plucked close to 200 mangoes - huge, big, happy pedda rasalu. I distributed them to my siblings and friends. Some we kept for Manga's pickle.


I am overwhelmed by the tree and its generosity. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel Mom must be up there feeling happy that I have at last woken up to nature's bounty in my backyard.

And hey, Vasu showed me the sapling we had planted in his plot in Beauty Green. It has survived and grown. Mom's work is now going far and wide. 

No comments: