Monday, May 30, 2022

The Sundar Nagar Joy of Sharing Club!

Without doubt the first idea of sharing was inspired by Abhinay and friends when they invited me to a TEDx event at VJIET and offered new bestselling books for free. Despite my age and my exposure I was surprised - free? Any book? I realised we have such deep rooted beliefs about anything free, such mistrust that the world can offer anything free to us, just for love. That really made a strong impression and I felt that to make people more 'giving' and 'receiving' we need to encourage the spirit of sharing.

Darahas made the poster

Prasad garu and me 

Then of course I see these news items on WhatsApp - people giving away free food by keeping a fridge in the wall facing the road, people collecting old clothes and giving them away free, Goonj collecting all sorts of urban waste and recycling and reusing the same. 

Me sharing Gopichand's bio with Darahas

Joy of sharing

Lovely

Each time I give away stuff I feel I should find someone who could use it well. I remember how precious the first laptop that Sunny had given me was to me (he was about to throw it away but it was a lifeline to me), the first mobile (Shobhs had got a new one and I got the discard), used socks from Naresh (they were a lifeline the US socks for my cricket), used books from Dad's collection and so many others who had opened their collections to me, clothes, Sanjay's Akai music system, and what not. Each much treasured.

Looking at the stuff he picked

Good energy

So I bounced the idea off with a 'Share a book'concept with Anjali and we kept many books at the community hall as part of some function and we managed to share many books. But I remember how a child wanted to pick up a comic and her mother would not let her. She was worried about the catch I am sure. We fear what others will think of us, what the trap is, whether it is seen as being greedy - oof too many such complexes. Anyway after that Secretary went away (even he had questions like, should we give them free, should we exchange etc), the idea died.

Comics and play things

Anirudh and Rushita helping someone

Until I met young Darahas who has a reasonable following among the youth of the colony. I told him of the idea and how we can all share stuff and make it a regular habit and he said he would help. We finally fixed a date and he did all the work - spoke to the colony Secretary, arranged for snacks etc, organised the participants, arranged the display, made posters and so on.

One pic

Yesterday we finally had our first 'Joy of Sharing Club' event where we shared about 30 odd books, (5 of mine included), 50 comics (Anjali), my old cricket kit, Darahas's shoes, sports t shirts, Anjali's old Wii Sports, socks, coolers, toys, play items, Jenga blocks and what not. A small bunch of kids came - some 20 odd and Darahas kicked off the proceedings with an introduction to me. I explained the idea and how when they all share, they will have a better society around them using recycled resources. Then Prasad garu the Secretary spoke and then we asked the kids to go for it.

A better one with Prasad garu

I began the proceedings by gifting Darahas Gopichand's bio. Vishnu took 'Mana Akkineni'. Anirudh picked up '50 NO'. Pranav took 'The Men Within'. I gave Rushita 'This Way..' and she said it was apt because she shared a great relationship with her Dad. The younger ones took the cricket stuff, comics, and within half an hour we achieved our goal (almost) of getting rid of everything.

Table full of books

Cricket kit, shoes, Wii, t shirts, an old ipod


Job well done!

Despite the encouragement many would pick one comic and stop - I had to force them to take more and tell them that every book should go by the end of the evening. I know how important a single visual, a single story, a single act, can impact a life and if this idea made them that much happier and open to life, it was well worth it. 

We took some pictures and well, it was a treat to see the faces on the kids faces. We hope to handhold this for a few times and then hopefully the younger ones will take it forward. Prasad garu was of the opinion that we should do this once a month and I think its a good idea. So thanks Abhinay and all others who have inspired this activity. And much thanks to Darahas and his gang and I hope they will carry this idea forward.         

3 comments:

Abhinay Renny said...

Very happy to see how the idea is turning into action sir :D

Harimohan said...

Thanks Abhinay. Much credit to you and your book initiative at VNR VJIET!

Abhinay Renny said...

I should credit Meghana, Vineeth, Vijay, Shreya, Sloka, Sruthi, Mallika, charishma, Sam and all the TEDxVNRVJIET team members who brainstormed a lot of ideas and executed it well sir