Monday, April 4, 2022

A Lovely Author Moment

 Many times we forget the good work we have done and it comes back in the most unexpected ways to remind us. Last month I received a call from my friend Vijay Lokapally. I was busy on another call at that moment and when I got off the call and was about to cal him back, I saw he had sent me a message. It was the picture of a young 8-9 year old boy holding a copy of 'The Men Within'. I called Vijay, intrigued.

Neel and 'The Men Within'

Vijay was in Pune and he was visiting his friends when he suddenly found a copy of 'The Men Within' on the shelf. He asked who had read it and found that young Neel, all of 8-9 had read it and liked it. Vijay told him he knew the author and would he like to talk. Neel had no problem with that and so we spoke.

Neel told me he had read it 3-4 times and liked it. He liked the part where the boys become men - the last part of the book when they put everything out to win. He said he would like to watch the movie made on it but was disappointed when I told him it was a Telugu film. His uncle Neeran Karnik (one of the first readers of the book who had reached out to me over mail and who I kept in touch with till recently) had gifted him that book.

Neel spoke easily, articulately, clearly and I was so impressed with him. I am glad he read the book and hope the book helps him in some way, some time. Glad to know you Neel. And Vijay, thanks for calling me. I feel that we go through the process of writing just for these moments.  

2 comments:

Abhinay Renny said...

This is beautiful. A serendipitous meets with the readers :)

Harimohan said...

It is. Makes it seem worthwhile!