Tuesday, October 6, 2020

A New personal Milestone - 5 kms Run

 It's been years since I have been able to run more than a couple of kilometres, at any pace. From a slim 78 kg weight during my playing days thirty years ago I slowly gained weight in the after years pushing 80 kgs, 90 kgs and then finally the 100s which didn't help me much in terms of fitness. With all this weight I could not run or jog without causing myself injury. Every time I lost weight and pushed myself, I'd pick up an injury. Mostly the knees would give in and I'd be back to gaining weight.

A couple of years ago when Sagar introduced me to juicing I lost some 6 kgs and went under 100 kg after a long time (not counting the time I went to 88 kgs once with an illness). But I could not, even then, jog or run. Whenever I tried I could do about 2 km or so and then something happened.

Now after all these years, thanks to the pandemic perhaps, I got some inspiration from somewhere (many that I can attribute to) and began intermittent fasting and walking around the colony block. This helped me lose some weight initially and then I started to jog - at a very slow pace mind you (like I would do 3 km in 35 minutes or so). But slowly I increased it bit by bit until I finally hit 5 km which to me was a huge landmark. 

The last week I have been doing 5 km in under an hour and my best time has been 55 minutes which I am immensely proud of. I had kept this as a major goal and I am thrilled I achieved it. 

I looked back at how difficult it seemed all this while and how doing it slowly, bit by bit, helped me to increase it. 500 mts, 750 mts, 1 km, and then 1.5 km and so on. You need to be patient, you need to be gentle and you need to be persistent. What seems impossible at the beginning becomes possible. It's the same with everything that looks impossible I guess.

Thought I'd share with you all!

No comments: