Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Thought for the Day - A Medical Insight

A couple of months ago I had a small back sprain while bowling. It soon developed into a big back sprain and I was in a situation when I could not get up, sit down, move, turn without experiencing excruciating pain. It was the first of a kind and I suspected I did some major damage.

My ortho friend suggested I take some relaxant and painkillers for five days and then we go for XRay and stuff like that. My active mind immediately visualized all the worst scenarios. I heroically took the medication for the next five days and as I had expected, nothing had changed. The pain instead, had worsened.

I was clueless and wondered what next. Even as I was making plans to visit my ortho friend for the tests, I saw my 90-year-old mother in law, Dr. Nalini Nargundkar, a doctor herself, but also a dabbler in several healing techniques like yoga, pranayama, homeopathy, acupressure, Sujok, reiki, ice treatment, physiotherapy...and many more. She has to come across a new healing idea and she tries to learn it and practice and by the looks of it, is doing well.

So I asked her casually. 'Aunty, I have been having this problem for a month now and it is really bad. I get this pain when I move forward or bend. Any ideas?'
She made me show what the problem was and where the pain was and said. 'In yoga when we do some movement, we also do the reverse movement. For example, when you bend forward we also complete it by bending backward. Since you have a problem bending forward try bending backward and see what happens.'

It looked like a simple enough thing to do so I tried it. I gently bent backward from the waist five times.

Voila, it was 70% better instantly. Thrilled with the results I repeated the exercises a few more times that day. Each time it reduced until by the next day it was 90% right. In a few days, it was totally gone.

I wonder how many such simple techniques we are missing out these days with our fears and anxieties and our complete distrust of everything. Maybe we could try the home remedy once - it could be as simple as this.

I am now asking her for some more home remedies for common ailments.


No comments: