Friday, September 15, 2023

Birthday Girl - Haruki Murakami

 At 42 pages, this was a brilliant read. For brevity of course. Murakami otherwise tends to take me on a long wild goose chase and unlike Ray's films which leave me with images, story lines, feelings (even I have feelings!) - Murakami leaves you with a sense of where is this going to. He is just on the border of real and unreal.



Anyway this book starts with a waitress in a restaurant who turned twenty and has nothing to celebrate it with. She goes to work and finds that she is assigned the task of serving dinner to the rich owner of the restaurant - an honour only given to the head waiter. The owner meets her, grants her a birthday wish and then its over. The girl narrates it to her friend and we never know what the wish was and whether it came true and what.

One of those books where you feel like hitting the characters with rotten tomatoes. Thankfully it was a small book and will help in boosting my annual score. But I will always remember it for being that exasperating book about a birthday wish we never hear about. Hopefully the last Murakami for a while though I can handle these small ones.

No comments: