Monday, April 1, 2024

Thought for the Day - Resolving Conflict

 In a situation where both concerned feel they are right, we end up with no resolution. Even the thought that 'both' are right doe snot fully convey the message.

What then?



To realise that we have somehow been responsible in creating the situation is the first step. So the question - what have I done to contribute to this must be asked of oneself. Fine, someone is cheating me, betraying me, treating me badly, not understanding me - but what have I done to contribute to this? Have I in some way pushed them away to behave the way they did? That's the first step to opening up a possibility of taking responsibility.

Beyond that comes empathy.

Can one put oneself in the other person's shoes and try to understand how they would have felt?  Simply reverse the position, get into their shoes and come from their perspective. Maybe there could be some empathy too.

They say if we let go of our need to be right and make the other wrong, there will be no conflict. But beyond both being right, lies taking responsibility for the situation and then if one can, even empathising with the other.

All's well and that ends well.     

No comments: