Monday, March 30, 2020

Life in the Days of Coronavirus - Day 6 of 21, March 30, 2020

Day 6 began bright and shiny. Ashok still delivers the paper but I decided to give it up because its too confusing with all these precautions - how much is good enough. Anyway, Shobha seems least bothered by all this and ventures out to buy vegetables form a vegetable vendor - I am all ears to check for signs of cough etc. Once she buys them I thoroughly sanitise the vegetables until they are the most sanitised veggies in town. Shobhs is amused and irritated at me - but I am all for abundant precaution.
Peace - Courtesy Satish N

Once the vendor business passed I got down to my calls - couple only this morning - Choudary, Pooja. Then I found my article in New Indian Express and spent some time sharing it and replying to comments. Luckily my interaction with the idiot WhatsApp forwards has reduced a lot so there was no further cause of stress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjOlZ5JHWhs

But what did bother me was a real news - the one where thousands of migrant workers are walking distances of up to 700 ks without food or money, with young children.  That look of determination on their faces, resignation, knowing that there is no one who will help them should make the government hang its head in shame. Why is it that governments cannot feel their pain, their resignation? Is the country not for them too? Why can't they at least be given food, water, shelter as they walk if not transport?


Anjali's online class went off well. She sat like in class, all prim and proper, full of concentration. Good for her. I could finally get a glimpse of how she behaves in class. Full on.

Most of the day went into writing the column. Sreeshma messaged me out of nowhere to ask for some help. But the column took most of the day. Chatted with Vasu who is recovering from his symptoms, Choudary who has enforced his own lockdown, Ram, Babu, Aai. Sreeshma called from Thrissur where she is locked down for a month now. One thing common is that everyone's voice is perking up when they get a call - only my mother-in-law was very vocal about it and said she was glad to hear from me.

Last night I watched 'Jawaani Jaaneman' with Saif and Tabu and Alaia F. Quite watchable. No headway on the book. Shobhs conducted her meditation which was nice..I am getting better at staying present. Also her introduction to the class which was interesting.

Cleaning, washing etc and there's precious little time for music. Last two days went without. Today went without a movie too so far. Can't believe it. Some people said our CM has promised that the state will be virus free by the 7th which is rather too optimistic. Conspiracy theories are flying about on how China conned the world. Nw people are also getting into the mode of saying how their god as punished those people for their crimes etc. Amazing. This species will never fail to amaze me.

So far, so good. There's a slight increase in movement outside I feel. People slacking a bit?

In an extraordinary act of kindness, my friend Dr Satyanath, who was out walking his dog with his mask stopped to chat with me. I told him there were no masks in the market and guess what - in these times where masks are off the shelves - he gave me three masks and sanitiser too. One of the bravest, kindest acts of friendship anyone will ever see. Thanks Mani!

No comments: