Friday, March 27, 2020

Life in the Days of Coronavirus - Day 3 of 21, March 27, 2020

Day 3 opened with the same amount of uncertainty, some slowed down rhythm. It was almost as if we finally accepted that this is the reality for the next three weeks. I began my day with a hot lemon ginger concoction that my mother-in-law taught me, followed it with some gratitude journal work (Shobhs), followed by reading 'Being You' and sitting outside making a few calls. Raja, Pooja, Peddakka, Ranjan, Don, Parth were some of them.

I decided to chill today and I did that. Didn't touch the computer till now, read a bit, cleared the kitchen (my favourite hobby is to clean and organise things), ate a bit of lunch and slept off reading the book. Woke up at 4 pm and Shobhs did a meditation for me and Anjali which was a nice piece of routine we intend to follow.
Eye - Acrylic on fabric by Anjali (yesterday's creative)

After the meditation, Anjali proposed that one of us do an activity and I suggested we could do an appreciation game - inspired by the gratitude journal - each of us give three things we appreciate in others. Anjali began we me - Eagerness, she said she liked the way I pick up something and go full on about it whether it is cleaning or some new concept I liked, Kind, she said I was generally kind and it showed every day, and A friend to all she said, I was everyone's friend. That had me smiling like the cat's whiskers or whatever. Shobhs said she liked the way I go bustling about the house and in the kitchen doing things which I don't know how to do, breaking, dropping stuff but doing it full on (I liked that), she said she liked the way I was being there for others by making calls etc and being supportive, and then she said she liked the way I go about my life through my own fears and apprehensions but plod on (when I asked for an example she said I did that when I had the kidney issue, or any health issue, or generally most times). I loved that. Thanks guys.

Anjali, I said, was organised and committed to whatever she does, thoughtful, kind, competitive, has a sense of humour, fights for her cause etc. Bit more than three. Shobhs said she liked the way Anjali tried to sort her issues out by herself despite being affected by them. Anjali told Shobhs that she liked the way she helps people see things in a new perspective, likes the way she teachers, parents and mostly she said she loves the way she lets her be - the right balance between authority and letting her have her space (Shobhs was thrilled with that. I told Shobhs that I appreciated her clarity of thought (several lessons she had taught me), her razor sharp  advice where she says things like they are in few, apt words that strike home, all that she learned and taught me in her journey, the way she is there for people unconditionally, punching over her weight. It was a nice half hour and quite uplifting.

Then we shifted out. Anjali and I played some catches with a tennis ball. Then we played some music - I found myself shifting towards the Hindi songs and then the mantras and chants which work wonders when I have a headache which I had a small one). So played these numbers.

And this one


And several more in that theme. I just concentrated on the rhythm and felt much better afterwards. I remember I cured myself of a bad headache by listening intently to mantras (my oldest sister's wedding) and once at Srisailam (where we kept chanting Om Namah Sivaiiah). Magical. Will share a few more songs after.

News of Boris Johnson the UK PM testing positive came out which must have suddenly made everyone feel very vulnerable. And then the videos of doctors in the US and elsewhere, telling people to pay heed because beyond a point it gets out of control. Now India moved quickly in lockdown and it was not a day soon as we have a fragile healthcare system and we cannot support it if it goes beyond control.

All day, there was an auto, playing out a message really loudly - from the GHMC Commissioner - telling us to stay home, practice social distancing, report to authorities if symptoms showed up (which authorities, which numbers dude). This went on loudly all day until evening and whatever peace we were hoping for was done in by this desperate and unnecessarily long and loud activity. One good thing was that GHMC personnel showed up early at home and sprayed the premises and walls (and even my car) and told me they wanted a picture with me while spraying. Anyway, that was nice.

Now there are no newspapers and almost all news is through WhatsApp which is not the best because of the amount of filtering one has to do. I wish the newspapers figure a way to disseminate important information through social media. Couple of nice links I found on WhatsApp. A Covid India counter.

https://www.covid19india.org/

As of now, India has 878 positive cases (+143), 785 active, 74 recovered and 19 deceased. Telangana is 59 (+14), 58 active and 1 recovered.

And a world meter
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/countries-where-coronavirus-has-spread/

USA has the top spot now, ahead of China. 93, 151 cases and 1382 deaths.

Well, I guess, it makes sense to stay in the now, keep away from the news, and listen to soothing music and watch fun movies. Tomorrow then. Going to watch American Hustle.

No comments: