Tuesday, April 11, 2023

What Rinku Yadav Taught Me

 I watched the game till the 19th over. I loved the way Venkatesh Iyer got them into the game, the way Pandit goes about coaching his teams. And when it was all set up for an easy win, the big three went one after another to Rashid Khan. And I saw no hope and gave up as Rinku hung about with Umesh, looking at Umesh to go big. And while I sat outside I could hear one six, and another, a third, a fourth and an incredible sixth.

I was ashamed of myself.

For all the talk of 'the game is not over till the last ball' and 'believe in your people whatever happens' etc I made the cardinal sin (what is a cardinal sin?) of getting disappointed that things did not go the way I wanted (Russell, Narine and Thakur would score) and gave up on Rinku.

Never ever will I give up like this again. Never will I be too quick to bring my judgments and lose faith. Rinku showed the impossible is possible. And all he said was 'Umesh bhai said that I should play the ball on the merit'. A great lesson in being present. And it is easier to be present for 1, 2 and even 3 balls. For 4 and 5, it will be really tough. But he did. And he looked every bit as calm after - like a monk. Watch the ball and play on its merit.

I saw the way Pandit was intrigued at the change of events, the way he hugged Rinku. There's something about Pandit. I someone keeps a camera on him all the time, I would be watching him.

No comments: