Sunday, April 23, 2023

Images that Stuck

 I was talking about the power of images on our early minds with a friend and thought I should make a list of the most powerful images that stayed with me.

1) This picture of a school boy playing cricket in a lush green village ground in England. Full whites, pads, gloves, even a belt, a sweater and a cap, a turf wicket, green grass, beautiful buildings at some distance, feet together, the by is attempting a flick in what I now know in a very English way. For years my dream was to play cricket like that school boy (white and blond) and I must have seen that image a hundred times.

Perhaps that was what made me want to play for my school team which was the height of my ambition then.

2) A picture of Dennis Lillee after he had just completed his action - his arm fully following through, head following the ball, the ball captured on its way to the batsman - I cut it out of whatever magazine I found it because it epitomised the perfect delivery and follow through - or rather, finish. For years it remained under my bed and I would bring it up and look at it almost as if I wanted that skill to be transferred to me by osmosis.

It was a great tragedy when I lost it. Let me search the net for that image now.

3) Wills Made for Each Other - an image that epitomised romance to me. This one in this series was of a man and a woman walking along a beach, she slim, dressed in a skirt and a top, graceful, he in a shirt and trousers, not particularly handsome or anything but rugged. But man, did I want my romance to be like that. I cut this out too and sent it to my secret hideout under my bed.

I found that ad and wrote a blog about it too!

More as I think of them.   

No comments: