Sunday, April 2, 2023

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept - Paulo Coelho

 I always wanted to read this book after my tryst with 'The Alchemist' but never got down to it. So when I found a copy in Gauri's 'giving away' pile I grabbed it.

 


A young girl caught in the demands of life - getting a job, earning a living etc - finds that her friend from school who had left to roam the world was coming to a town close by and goes to meet him. She realises he has somehow got some healing powers and everyone around him knew that he could work healing miracles and he is destined for some spiritual greatness. But when she meets him she realises he had always loved her and still loved her - and wanted to fight for her love. She loves the fact that he loves her but is confused - should she accept it and perhaps hinder his spiritual journey or should she give in? It ends nicely with both deciding that love is the final answer and get together.

What I found interesting is that in all the talk about Immaculate Conception and Virgin Mary, the young man says he is there to  show that the feminine side of God is equally powerful and must be recognised. A lot of fluff but that's the main theme as I found it. Many nice concepts hidden in the story too.  

No comments: