Saturday, October 5, 2024

Dave Barry Turns 40 - Dave Barry

I looked for his book to gift Malay on his 40th and could not find it. Vinod, my go-to fairy in all things concerning books fished it out of his magical collection but by then the birthday had come and gone. Since the humour in my life was generally going down, I decided to read it and Dave did not disappoint. It took a while to pick up steam but as it did I was struck down by loud eruptions of laughter that made me want to slow it down - I was making funny guttural sounds and thought that I  could have heath issues if I continued that way.



He starts with an academic quiz to find out whether you are grown up yet  which most won't pass, then moves on to explain how your body is disintegrating, has beauty tips for mature gals, wonders at the midlife marriage, parenthood at 40, planning midlife crises, sex, time management (read this chapter very quickly he advises - but mostly says one should not waste time on meetings and such stuff), financial planning, politic, sports (I loved this chapter - he covers golf,fishing, walking like a dork, shrieking at little leaguers, skiing), dementia and stuff like that. It really had me rolling over. 

Dave never fails. If you haven't read it, do. And thanks Vinod bhai, you have in so many ways added much laughter to my life, Dave Barry's introduction to my reading list being one of them. 

No comments: