Thursday, February 16, 2023

Much Ado About Everything - Jayanthi Jaisimha

 This is a fun read, whacky and wise, embellished with some wonderful insights and told in a delightfully mischievous voice that refuses to grow old. Jayanthi Jaisimha, Junie aunty to us, Vivek and Vidyuth's mom, one of the biggest supporters on my writing journey has found her passion - writing. After two previous books, both on the love of her life, Uncle Jai, she now trains her eye on 'everything' as the title says.


For starters, thanks to the book, I now know that why she is called Junie aunty - she was born in June. Her mother was born in May and was called May (I think). In her unique voice, she embarks on her own Wotfun journey, poking at everything and having fun at every step. She writes about the houses she lived in, her father and mother, her connections to Col CK Nayudu, to Tamil Nadu, to Coorgi, her family, her grandchildren, her dogs, ponders about many things in life, the famous Jaisimha bar, her father's finger pointing, her days in school (she has friends from 1st class still), in college (when Uncle would woo her, while some others would also take a chance), her in laws, her ailments, her doctors, her A team, the help, her facial exercises, coconuts - its about anything and everything and I loved reading it. The cover is so apt and fully conveys the mood aunty was in when she approached the book.

I now know many things about her life I never knew, and I am glad she decided to write because most of this information would have been lost to her grandchildren (even her children perhaps because she discovered many things later in life). I think everyone should write about their life once they turn sixty ...and keep adding to it as life goes on. It's a wonderful effort aunty and I cannot imagine how I missed taking your signature when you gave me the book. It's a good excuse to meet soon! 


     

No comments: