Sunday, February 12, 2023

Fine Show by Radhika Koppala's Samaya Centre for Performing Arts

Radhika was my student at the University of Hyderabad, Department of Dance where I teach 'Art Managment', and when she invited me to be a guest at the performance of her students (her dance institution is called Samaya Centre for Performing Arts) at Ravindra Bharathi on the 6th of February I had to go. It appeared to be a high profile event with many Ministers as guests - I was happy to see my friend Senthil on the guest list as well. I was hoping to rope in someone to accompany me but Sagar dropped off so I went alone. I walked in at 7 pm and it had just got started. 

Wall filled with posters of great world cinema as you enter

Radhika teaches Bharatanatyam. The students were from various age groups, really young children to older teens. The show was compered well and clearly a lot of effort was taken - music, rehearsals, vocalist, special effects, costumes and mostly, managing the energies of the children. Of everyone. Radhika did a fine job while also doing the nattuvangam she also kept an eye on the children who needed help, synced with the musicians and did a fine job of holding it all together.

Classy
As I walked in I saw this lovely plaque announcing the day when Ravindra Bharathi was inaugurated - May 11, 1961 by Vice President Dr S Radhakrishnan. The only other names on the plaue were fittingly those of the engineer, T Veernath Rai, and the architect, M Fayazuddin. Unlike to day when everyone wants to be mentioned everywhere. Clearly class or sensibility is a thing of the past. I also saw the wall filled with  posters of great world cinema - City of God, Citizen Kane, Apu Trilogy and so on. Tasteful.

From my first vantage
Once inside I seated myself close to the left side which I found to be very cold for some reason - also many people seemed to be moving around making me fold and unfold my legs. I went back a couple of rows, deeper into the hall. The seats were made for the 1960s people - slim - and I found myself just about fitting in - some people could seriously get stuck. 
The second vantage
The young kids performed well. Some have a natural rhythm, some move rigidly but they will evolve. Kids missing the beat, slipping and falling were to be expected and I enjoyed the way they took it in the stride and went on with the show. I enjoyed the choreography and the performances. After some time I moved further away to the right of the auditorium where it was not as cold.
The third vantage - Radhika second from left (sitting) on stage
There was a introduction of Senthil and his wife Ruhee though I could not see them. Maybe I could bump into them at some point I thought. I could see some gentlemen wrapped in blankets or scarves and realised these people were genuine art lovers - not parents or guests but the general public who had walked in to enjoy art.
My great art appreciator friend
Like this gentleman who sauntered in and sat behind me to start with. As he passed me I got a whiff of some strong spirit. Even as he sat he began clapping loudly, clearly enjoying the program. When a child made a mistake he clapped for her. He clapped at every opportunity, saying wah, wah (and also certain other things I could not hear). Then he moved in front of me and kept clapping. I noticed there were others like him, singles, who walked in after a tipple to enjoy art. I wondered what they had to go back t home to, what they were voiding, postponing, what pleasure they got from watching this world that was so removed from their reality and like my friend here, finding so much joy in this performance. No one clapped as hard as he did or as much.
I could also get a better view of Radhika on stage and I could watch her handle the show and the children and I think she did a great job. I left after the last performance- it had been a very hectic day for me but not before I saw Senthil being called on stage.
Group pic

Radhika - in red

Radhika being felicitated by the Chief Guest

Here's Radhika's bio- its impressive. Wishing her many more such programs and success in whatever she endeavours to do.


It was a very enjoyable evening. A perfect artist date. Thanks Radhika for the invite and the opportunity.



No comments: