Saturday, September 26, 2026

Acts of Love - Vasu Plants 60 Trees for Us

Cut to a couple of years ago when I saw a video by the Guruji of Parmarth ashram in Rishikesh who urged everyone to plant one tree on their birthday. It was a beautiful message and I was inspired enough to share it with Vasu who loved the idea. We decided to plant 57 trees which is what we were then (we are separated by 11 days).
Then he brought out a book titled 'Trees of Delhi' by renowned film maker Pradeep Krishen and we spent most of a Sunday selecting the trees we wanted to plant. Then another day we went to his plot of land at Shamshabad and measured out the distance for 57 trees. 
Somehow it kept getting delayed. Year after year we would start and it would stop. Either the right place or fencing or water or caretakers. I gave up in my mind though Vasu kept telling me he would do it and get me to inaugurate the project. In his busy schedule it kept getting pushed. 
Until yesterday when he called me and said we should go to inaugurate the project. He took me to the same place but a little away, a for acre farm belonging to his friend, where he planted Avenue trees of six varieties - silver Oak, flame of forest, bakul, pongamia, patrajiva and badam. He told me he selected these varieties because they were native to the area and promoted biodiversity. He has then planted 20 feet apart in the evening in an L shaped road. Each plant was grown a bit since he didn't want them to die, had a grilled fencing and was getting water from a drip pipe.

Obviously a hell of a lot of work and he enlisted the help of the farm caretaker Ramakrishna who helped us. Vasu also wanted to surprise me so he kept me seated in a nice place while he went and stuck a small dedication, a note of love and friendship to me on the fence wishing me a great life ahead. Then he invited me to water the plant. I loved the gesture, the way he slowly made it mine, from what was our project. But it will remain our project only. I gave him a big hug. 

For sheer thoughtfulness and painstaking execution one can't beat Vasu. I loved the message he wrote for me. On our way back we were wondering how the ways of the universe are - where Guruji from Paramarth makes a video and where we get 60 trees in Shamshabad. So beautiful. 

One of the most unique gifts, one that i will cherish forever. I can't wait to see these trees grow in another ten years. But for now Vasu bhai, thank you so much for your gift.

One of the greatest acts of Love I've witnessed, not to me, but to August l society in general as well. 

No comments: