Friday, September 20, 2024

The Tirunelveli Diaries - Suchindram

We started off from Kanyakumari around 1030 or so after another cup of coffee and I told the driver to take me to Suchindram which is where my editor Sandhya hails from. I had once seen a picture of a temple she had posted which stayed in my mind - and that thought that said - I should go there once sat. So we went to Suchindram which was a small detour. Once again they said we have to take off our shirts to enter the Shree Thanaumalayan temple and while Jyo decided not to, i decided I would and headed in. 

The entrance to the Stanumalayan temple

Beautiful painted corridors


It was a huge complex with many temples - the main idea being that all three Hindu gods are worshiped here - Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. I wandered around the temple and was awestruck at its size, the many idols, the carvings, the ceilings and stepped out after buying some prasad. 

The general view of the pic that Sandhya had shared - her house to the right somewhere

Beautiful tank



Once outside I called Sandhya who said she would have organised a nice temple tour if I had told her earlier. Anyway I walked around the water tank which was beautiful. drank some coffee and then headed back to Tirunelveli.

This is from the temple entrance - loved that building to the right

We were back by at the hotel lunch despite the driver trying to entice us with some non-vegetarian lunch places. I think he hoped we would pay for his lunch.          

No comments: