Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Obstacle is the Way - Ryan Holiday

Rajiv gifted this book to me a while ago and though i thought I would get done in a jiffy because of the easy format, it took me longer than I thought - mainly because of my other engagements. But in the end it was a worthy read and Holiday makes a case for us to not see obstacles as obstacles and to see them in fact as a way to better yourself.



Holiday quotes extensively from the Stoics, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius and gives examples by the dozen of people who used adversity to their advantage. It is not a common trait but it is not uncommon either and one must first not resist or get scared of obstacles, look at them with wonder and then, perhaps look at them with gratitude for allowing us to learn and become better people by pushing our boundaries further. For the woman with spirit and character, this is indeed the way.

Thanks Rajiv. It is a very thoughtful and much cherished gift from you. Will always adorn my bookshelf.   

No comments: