Friday, August 3, 2018

My Musical Notes Part 5 - Olivia's Greatest Hits

It was soon after I bought the 'Grease' cassette and also the fact that Yuvavani never let us forget Olivia Newton-John. It was but natural that I got my hands on this one -don't know from where. Perhaps it was a barter or a cassette someone gave me and forgot to collect but I do not remember buying it. Olivia's Greatest Hits. I did not see Grease - though I saw a few clips of the famous songs so all I had was Olivia's playful voice. Much later I realised that she sold 100 million records and was one of the world's best selling artists of all time. Glad to be one of those 100 million!

The cassette had all the big numbers of Olivia - 'Physical' which played non-stop on Yuvavani those days and which I never liked. (Check out the video - very sexy.) 'You're the one that I want' was and still remains a great hit. I certainly remember listening to the slow number 'Xanadu', 'Hopelessly Devoted to you' (Grease), 'A little more love', and 'Magic'.

Listening to Olivia is a personal experience because I did not watch the movie with anyone, nor did I listen to these songs with anyone. With Yuvavani, I remember the mornings clearly. The radio in the hall, the morning sunlight streaming through the white lace curtains on to the dining table, and life seemed perfect in a place where parents could not reach nor could society nor could anyone else. So it was just Olivia and a 15-year-old me perhaps in the tenth class at All Saints High school or younger. Olivia had a devastating effect on me with her voice.


However recently when I saw her performance with John Travolta reprising their 'You're the one that I want' it made me fall all over in love with Olivia again. But listening to 'Physical' in 1981-82 remains the lasting memory, and 'Xanadu' later on when I bought this cassette.

Olivia and her sunlight tinted voice.

No comments: