Friday, April 14, 2017

Books I'd Recommend To Shreya

Kiran asked me my list of books that I'd recommend for Shreya, his eighteen year old. Here's my partial list which I propose to keep expanding (includes a couple I need to read yet). It is one regret of mine (there is a growing list of those now), it is that I did not read enough of the stuff I should have read when I was eighteen.

Fiction
Zorba the Greek
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Love in the times of Cholera
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
The Stranger - Camus
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Haroun and the sea of stories  - Salman Rushdie
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
One Flew over the cuckoo's nest
Of Mice and Men -Steinbeck
A Confederacy of Dunces
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Atlas Shrugged/Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Any book by Wodehouse - preferably a Jeeves or a Ukridge one
Malgudi Days - R.K. Narayan
The Untouchable - Mulkraj Anand
The Mahabharatha
Tao of Pooh - A. A. Milne

Non-fiction
The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
Freedom at Midnight
The Last Nizam
The Mindset - A New Psychology of Success - Carol Dweck
The Richest Man in Babylon
Start with why - Simon Sinek
Tuesdays with Morrie
7 habits of highly successful people - Steven Covey
The Checklist Manifesto - Atul Gawande
Autobiography of a Yogi
Art of War - Sun Tzu
Man's Search of Meaning - Victor Frankl
Tao te Ching - Lao Tzu
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
The Republic - Plato
The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
My Experiments with Truth - Gandhi
Thus Spoke Zarathustra -Friedrich Nietzsche
Everybody loves a drought - P. Sainath
Nine Lives - William Dalrymple
The Story of Philosophy - Will Durant
The Music Room - Namita Devidayal

No comments: