Saturday, February 7, 2015

Terms of Endearment - Movie Review

Debra Winger was this amazingly pretty lass in 'An Officer and a Gentleman', her curly hair falling all over her beautiful face. It was so easy to fall in love with her and I must confess that I never resisted that. In 'Terms of Endearment', a 1983 movie, she plays Emma, daughter of Shirley Maclaine and the mother - daughter story is shown so beautifully. When I saw the tough choices the impulsive Debra makes in her life, I felt the desperate urge to give her a hug, to hold her. Debra Winger gave an Academy Award nomination performance surely. Shirley Maclaine got one for her portrayal of her mother. Jack Nicholson got one for being himself.

Much of 'Terms of Endearment' brought back the 1980s to my mind. I don't know if it was the nostalgia or the story of Winger's portrayal but it did make me feel a sense of loss. They use landlines - it looks so archaic now - like watching a black and white movie almost. What was I getting sentimental about? Then I saw the poster and I realised - it was for Debra and all the women she represented - the ones I'd fall in love so easily with. I should make a list.

Shirley Maclaine is a powerhouse actor I realised. Its a movie I could watch again.

No comments: