Monday, February 4, 2013

Thought For The day - What More Can I Do?

It popped up while I was talking to a bunch of young employees the other day. One of them brought up the all-important question - what is the company doing for me? Why am I not getting paid more? Why should I work harder?

My experience teaches me that it never works that way. If you are not getting whatever you want, it is plain that you do not deserve it yet. The question to ask in such a situation is this - What more can I do to get what I want? There is no doubt that there is still some work left to be done because if you deserve it, nothing in the world will stop you from getting it.

Instead of complaining about not getting what you want, look for what else you can do. Add value to yourself. Prepare yourself, and you will get what you deserve.

What's In It For Me?
Most times we are more concerned with the regressive question - What is in it for me? This question stops all growth instantly, increases resentment and makes one a bad influence on the team. It affects not just the individual performance but team performance as well. It is a sure path to slide down and get into a situation you don't wan to get into.

What More Can I Do?
Instead, shift your thoughts and answer this question - What more can I do?

You will grow. You will be an asset wherever you go.

1 comment:

Rajendra said...

Yes, the more I see the world, the more I agree with this.